Plastc all-in-one supercard makes Coin look very dated

Shawn Knight

Staff member

plastc smart payment card aims replace card-stuffed wallets nfc credit card rfid coin supercard

NFC-based payments may be the future but let’s face it, not everyone is ready to get rid of the plastic in their wallets. Cutting down on the number of cards that result in bulky wallets, however, may be a bit easier to sell which is exactly what Plastc is hoping for.

The latest supercard is designed to pair with an app on your smartphone via Bluetooth. It can hold information on up to 20 different cards including credit, debit, access, loyalty and gift cards with the ability to switch between them with ease thanks to its embedded e-ink touchscreen display.

plastc smart payment card aims replace card-stuffed wallets nfc credit card rfid coin supercard

It also contains NFC and RFID chips for added flexibility along with a 30-day battery life and wireless charging. Plastc is also future-proofing the card by including an EMV chip while those with additional security concerns will appreciate the ability to PIN-lock the card and receive phone alerts if it is accidentally left behind at a store. Furthermore, the card can be remotely wiped in the event it is lost or stolen.

As Gizmodo points out, that’s a heck of a lot of technology to cram into a single credit card-sized device and presents quite the challenge in getting it to market by summer 2015.

Of course, Plastc isn’t the only outfit designed to slim down your wallet. Y Combinator-backed startup Coin introduced its universal payment card almost a year ago. It was supposed to ship this past summer but has since been pushed back until the spring of 2015. The company is, however, still accepting pre-orders at $100 a pop.

With any luck, Plastc will be able to overcome the multitude of setbacks that have kept Coin at bay thus far. Pre-orders for Plastc are now open if you want to secure yours early. Expect to pay $155 for the opportunity.

Permalink to story.

This is a step in the right direction for sure. This card is many times more secure than anything in your wallet currently. It's also not too ambitious in it's scope. The only part that kills me is the though of having to charge a credit card. Thirty day battery life? How about no. I charge enough gadgets. I don't need to charge a credit card. I would early adopt this card and test it out though.

Isn't it strange that in ad's and promo videos like these everybody, even the extras are walking around with big 360 degree smiles on their faces and everything seems so perfect but in real life nothing could be further from the truth.

I know the videos aren't always a true representation of real life and they add in the CGI to make the card cooler but this just looks so fake to me, it is possible in theory - however it just looks like a big scam to me. They charge you now and you wait until Summer next year to find out it isn't real......then what? Nothing.

Thirty day battery life? How about no. I charge enough gadgets. I don't need to charge a credit card. I would early adopt this card and test it out though.

They said wireless charging so if your phone could beam it some juice you would never need to worry about it. But I agree, it could be a total wash you had to take it out and charge it at home

I never trust an advert where the small print is tiny. There's plenty of space to include the conditions in normal sized text - if it's important then we need to be able to read it.

Back