Playing Guildwars simultaneously on the same lan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I've only recently got a decent pc setup, and i'm a complete noob to online gaming.

Just wondering, if i get a game (i'm thinking about guildwars) will i be able to play on two different computers set up on a home network at the same time. I know it needs a cd key, so will i need two copies to do this?

Thanks.

You'll need two copies and will probably have no problems using both from the same lan even if only 1 IP is visible to the outside world. Most games don't limit you to 1 instance per IP anymore, but back in the day when they did it was a real headache.

Oh, alright. bit disappointed i have to shell out twice, but i guess thats the way it has to be.

Just wondering how the whole thing works though, do you have to key in your cd-key at startup, or do you have to register it or something?

Just install the game on the 2 machines, and when it askes for the cd key during install, just type it in. Load the game on the 2 PC's, and select multiplayer game>LAN and have one machine host the game, and the other machine will then go and join that game.

I would have to disagree with you molson. you cant install it on two mahines. After i installed Guild Wars on my PC, i thought what the heck, and attempted to install it on another machine. I could not even get past the setup, as soon as it asked for the CD key, i put it in and it shut down. So then i unplugged that machine from the internet and tried agian, it then said i needed to be connected to install. I would buy two copies of the game.

Sean

You should be able to install the game on two different computers. But you will need 2 different accounts to use both of them at the same time...

I've so far installed GW on 3 computers, and it has not been any problem.
But if you get a problem and have broadband/patience, just download the client from here and it'll install that way. Then all you need to do is enter your account info.
If you don't have one, create one and use the cd-key to get access...

MrGaribaldi said:
You should be able to install the game on two different computers. But you will need 2 different accounts to use both of them at the same time...

I stand corected.

Sean

BTW-MrGaribaldi What race are you in guild Wars?

Human... What else are there :p

I'm playing a Monk/Mesmer... It was supposed to be Me/Mo, but I somehow mixed it up a bit...
Only gotten to level 16 so far, as I've only clocked in ~33 hours... But when I'm done with my exams the 16th of june.... :D

Nice

I am a lvl 7 Ranger/Elemntalist. I have only been playing for 8 hours lol. I am stuck in old Ascalon. lol And i didnt mean race, i ment well you know what i ment.

Sean

I may be getting a new PC soon. If I install Guild Wars on my current one; then
get a new PC, will I be able to reinstall the game on the new one? I plan on uninstalling it on the old one first.
Thanks in advance for you help.

:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:
You should be able to install the game on as many systems you like, without uninstalling first. The reason is that the key is bound to your account, not the installation...

So as long as you don't try to create new accounts on each machine with the same key, you shouldn't have any problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back