PlayStation 3 owners hit by major PSN outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Update: Sony issued an update on the PlayStation Blog claiming the source of the problem has been identified as a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system. The company says it hopes to resolve this within the next 24 hours, and is advising owners of older non-slim PS3s to keep their consoles turned off until further notice.

PlayStation 3 owners around the world were hit by a nasty glitch over the weekend, preventing them from accessing the console's online gaming and shopping service, the PlayStation Network. That alone would be inconvenient, but according to a number of complaints on official forums, titles like the newly released “Heavy Rain” were even unplayable offline and trophies won in other games have outright disappeared.

Interestingly, the problem appears to be affecting only the older PlayStation 3 consoles and not the newer so-called "slim" models that were recently launched. Sony acknowledged the problem and stated that they are working on a fix. While it made no mention of what is causing the problem, some suggest it might be a combination of DRM and firmware issues rather than a network outage.

Affected units have their system date set to Dec 31, 1999 or January 1st 2000 and the consoles are reportedly only able to play non-protected games. Any PlayStation 3 owners experiencing PSN problems today? Share your experience in the comments.

Permalink to story.

its pathetic that soney doesnt even update info on this. I have the old phat system and can't play any game I have, nor netflix etc etc disgracefull

i have just found out about this problem......turned ps3 on....will not connect..date say 31/12 23:53....have tried disabling internet connection.....still wont play games in offline mode says trophies couldnt be completed and so games close..... sony need to get some arses into gear...it will be a lengthy delay or they need to provide a new one.....how are they going to be able to provide a fix to the problem if i cant get onto internet to update it... guess will have to send off for the fix meaning another few days with a now useless product.......

"...some suggest it might be a combination of DRM..."

Hmmm...looks like PC gamers might not be the only ones that have to deal with this type of thing.

My PS3 is down just bought heavy rain and cant even play it!!!. Its not even a online game but because of trophy sinc it will not allow me to play it.

Im halfway through assassin's creed 2, went to put it on this morning and because it cant access the trophies, due to the PS network not working, it just quits the game. I have also noticed that my trophies for assassin's creed 2 have disappeared from the menu. this is very annoying!

I couldn't get heavy rain to work, but UFC 2009 Undisputed works just fine. I think this affects certain games but not all. I sure hope they fix it before God of War 3.

i dont even mind about not playing online but i cant even play games offline now, its retarded seriously

I was going through and reading about it last night. and from the threads i read, other users were saying to delete your last update and then put the update back on, i continue'd to read on and as i did, other user's had said that they did a system factory rest... now i had done a factory rest in the past.. lost everything didn't really wanna do it again. So read into more info on it, and out of 500 user's on a form all stated they deleted there game that had to do with heavy rain and the update then turned there system off, and it worked for them.. so i went a head and did the same thing.. Sadly... it didn't work and i lost all my saved content for heavy rain..but i'm not going to complain about that..
Sony isn't being fair to there customer's by not telling them the whole truth on what's happening i didn't know telling the truth to thousands of customers would be so hard.. i know they might tell what the issue was after it's fixed but i don't want answer's after it's fixed i want answer's now so i know what i actually am waiting on. instead of being told that they are currently working on the problem and asking us to wait paitently. We have no choice no game's or downloadable content can be played.

I hope sony is not trying to force consumers to buy the new slim model. I will not buy the new model if this is a tactic to sell more PS3 units I guess I will have to buy a X-Box 360. Right now my PS3 is pretty much useless wont even play games offline so I doubt this is an error of the playstation network. Sony needs to held accountable for this in some way or the other . SONY and Toyota seem to have alot in common these days.

I have listened to PS3 owner telling me the console is much better than my 360 and that Microsoft sucks and the RROD is the end of the world. On Saturday I bought a PS3 finally to play Heavy Rain - a pre-owned 40 GB model :) I managed to complete Heavy Rain last night at 11pm at my friends house and when I got the console home I found I could not connect to the PSN network and I could not play my games - it said there was a problem with the Trophy data and said "press X". Pressing X restarts the console.

I am not going to cry about it - its actually quite funny that 2 days after I buy one, the whole system breaks for millions and millions of people at once but the next time a Sony fan tries to tell me how bad MS are, it won't hold quite so much weight.

I have both systems and I like them both for different reasons. Cant really say one is better then the other cause it really depends on what game, what I am doing, etc. Sony is clearly more powerful, but I don't see the positive in that cause most of the ps3 exclusive titles that showcase its power have been pretty lame games. But I want to try this rain game I keep hearing about

From reading about the issues on some other sites, it sounds like the issue may have something to do with a screwy leap year handling routine in the older units. Similar thing happened in 2008 to Zunes, if I recall correctly.

Guess we'll see how they fix the issue.

I completed Heavy Rain - it was really good. I wouldnt mind getting it working again so I can go back to the some of the more influential chapters and try seeing how it panned out if I did things differently. I also hope they fix my new shiny console. I wouldnt mind buying the new Street Fighter 4 on it since the dpad is much better - I trained myself to do Dragon punches on those 15 years ago :p

I just hope they fix it fast. im not complaining about it. just want to be able to play after a long day at work...

Hmm.. I haven't noticed any problems on mine, but I have a "newer" fat console. Been playing Darksiders just fine :)

All I know is this is the last time I purchase a PS3 product again. This is so ridiculus......Time to purchase an Xbox (reliable at least)!!!

not switching my one on till its fixed. No big deal as long as its fixed by time Mag and BFBC2 arrive (in next few days I hope) I am fine. And guest above me, Stop trolling and FFS make an account fed up of ''guest'' comments.

xboxs arent reliable unless you get the elite one, the standard xbox is a lump of **** and has a 30% chance of getting RROD in first 3 months (RROD = ****ed) id get a new ps3 slim if i were you

This really sucks. I can accept outages but ps dragging a fix on this takes the piss conslisrs have been going down fir teo days now. They could atleast send down a patch to disable the trophy issue. Or give us some real time updates on when it's gonna be sorted.

xboxs arent reliable unless you get the elite one, the standard xbox is a lump of **** and has a 30% chance of getting RROD in first 3 months (RROD = ****ed) id get a new ps3 slim if i were you

Utter rubbish had mine since the launch not one prob. There are the same amount of busted ps3's out there as there is 360's and live is much more well supported. but you pay for the right not to have a royal **** up like psn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back