TechSpot

PlayStation 4 will require a Day One update to enable many basic features

By Shawn Knight
Oct 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Sony’s PlayStation 4 will require a Day One software update to enable full console functionality. The patch will weigh in around 300MB and enable basic features like Blu-ray and DVD support, party chat and the ability to listen to music...

Read more
  2. It is unavoidable or they would avoid it, better than delaying the console.
  3. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903   +99

Basically without the update the console is useless, and without the update you can't access any of the online features. Server issues will be unavoidable, people will be upset, I will not be one of them. Unless your the 14 year old girl out of your group of friends, you can wait a week to get this thing, and then no headaches will be had, simple really. But this is just one update out of the couple dozen in the first year of a consoles life, the fact that there's an update before it goes live, that's impressive and likely a sign of things to come.
  4. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Enthusiast Posts: 267   +77

The tone of this article renders it useless. As has already been mentioned by the previous responses; so what? if it means more mature and functional drivers then I would have zero issue with a download, it's not like it's original or new and therefore questionable; I buy a model and the first thing I have to do is download updated drivers.I buy a NEW game and first thing that happens is it checks for updated code. Yet again another article that is proving out the fact that the editors and writers of this site have a serious biased, be it bought and paid for or simply they are M$ and Apple window lickers is yet to be determined.
    Puiu, Wendig0 and LukeDJ like this.
  5. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 901   +52

Odd you will have to connect to the internet to activate DVD and Blu-ray playback.
  6. yorro

yorro TS Enthusiast Posts: 245

I guess the hardware was already in production when the update came out. They had to push it somehow. The problem is the server issue on day one, as a gamer from the 56kbps era, I can wait.
  7. I agree with Ranger1st.
  8. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,932   +899

This doesnt surprise me. They have to work out any small details even after mass production has begun.
    Puiu and captaincranky like this.
  9. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 524   +142

I've heard that both consoles will have the update on the official launch date to prevent people from using it properly if it's released prematurely...
    Mooseinadesert, Puiu and St1ckM4n like this.
  10. drjekel_mrhyde

drjekel_mrhyde TS Rookie Posts: 101   +7

But But I don't have the internet where I live. How will I play my M.A.S.H DVDs
  11. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 717   +28

300mb. Joy. Glad I'm not preordering and expecting to play on day one.

12. Sorry Shawn Knight...I wont be pissed off. I just want my PS4 already!!! Updates and patches are part of technology....I can almost guarantee your windows did an update before or during the post of this article by you. :)
  13. backo

backo TS Member Posts: 58   +8

People wanted a console that works completely offline... Sony provided I do not see an issue.
  14. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 889   +171

Come on people, it's 2013. Are we really surprised about this? Anyone who is genuinely upset by this has bigger problems.
    davislane1 and Puiu like this.
  15. likedamaster

likedamaster TS Member Posts: 83   +12

Informative article, thank you.
  16. Rasta211

Rasta211 TS Enthusiast Posts: 194   +24

Maybe they should have a waiting list...
  17. A "DayOne" update!?

Ha!

you cant imagine what can be hidden in 300mb...

that update is just an excuse to gather all info about the first user, so they can control where EACH ps4 have been plugged and turned it on, companies ALWAYS wanted to know that data... remember the "registry your product" card that use to come in every (even a simply calculator) device in 80s 90s and 00s? not everybody does that, but this "update" is a forced way to do that, but since it is only an update to get it properly working... you never think it is to tell yell at sony "hey my name is alex and I have purchased a ps4 and I am in France, my ISP is ... and my physical address is this and that..."
    since sony says it is an update, they dot have to ask you to sign or to accept a privacy statement, so the info can be sell to anybody under the table... like the government?

it is a very "like apple behavior"...

I am not interested to tell sony where I am and who I am... but cracks and offline support will arise...
    freythman likes this.
  18. I bet this is some ploy to hide DRM as a "Update". Get User X to log in, register, then download the update. Then the server knows User X owns the PS4, so when the PS4 gets banned for hardware mods, they can blacklist the account.

Elegant, if I do say so myself.
  19. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,664   +879

JC, just what are you smoking when you call a 300 MB download a, "small detail"? I'd sure be deeply beholding to you if you'd save me some....
    Skidmarksdeluxe and JC713 like this.
  20. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +6

Makes you laugh when the emphasis and exaggerate small patches such as this as if we are all still on 9.6k modems. Whoopie do the patch will take around 30 seconds to download OMG quick lets cancel the console and commit mass suicide the end is nigh!
  21. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,932   +899

Let me correct that ;). Thousands of small details :D.
    Puiu likes this.
  22. captaincranky

When you consider that Windows XP installed from a CD, (max capacity about 700MB), then what you call, a "small patch", (300MB), actually is a "big deal"..

Moving on. Wow, your internet is so fast, can I have your autograph?

I see you're still waiting for your first "like". With the yap on you, I wouldn't hold my breath.
    freythman likes this.
  23. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 844   +218

Only a brat would be upset over this.
  24. captaincranky

What would you consider the brat / non brat ratio would be of potential Play Station consumers?

Besides, a big update before you can fully use the console, would be a big downer on Christmas day. Would it not?
  25. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,465   +622

If I was Sony, I'd be spending an enormous chunk of change on server allocation to make sure this update goes smoothly. Especially considering the limited release audience on release (USA, who else?). You can't put the price on the potential loss of good PR.

That's actually a possibility! Nice.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.