Please advise with blue screen of death, can only access safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

deandeandean

Hi, for about 2 weeks now I can only access my pc using safe mode. Which means I have to start it normally, for the blue screen of death to appear, turn if off manually and then start if up to be able to load in safe mode (with networking)

Before this (2 weeks ago) it would randomly apear now and again, but then load in safe mode, but now it won't load regularly.

The info to tell me whats wrong on the screen is as follows:

'Driver_IRQL_not_less_or_equal

0x000000D1 (0xE16D20000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF3CA4E85)

I'm quite illiterate when it comes to computers but a flatmate has installed some anti-virus programmes which have deleted a shed load of viruses malaware e.t.c

I typed the error codes in on google and so many stories came up and I have no idea which applies to me, or any idea of how to fix this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as in safe mode I can't download anything, use speakers or use the graphic card thing which makes everything smooth.

Thanks for reading
Dean

The error codes you posted match nothing in my database... but they are the clue to the problem.

Usually this is a driver failure or a hardware component failure such as memory, video graphics, or cooling issue.

Since you are experienced, you have probably already tried these, but I would attempt to run MemTest86, the new version out his month, in SAFE MODE... on one memory module at a time... for four hours or seven passes, which ever takes longer...
Then run the other memory module.
This is helpful in two ways... MemTest86 may find the problem, or kit may just rule out memory as the cause.

Do you have any red or yellow or grey flags in your Device Manager? If you do, that is where to go next... for a driver or a hardware replacement... Network card, video graphics card, Sound Card, even an unused modem can cause this... but so can a failing CPU fan or power supply.
Keep good notes, because it may take a while... for many of us, it is useful to keep track of where we have explored corrections.

You have a corrupted device driver which is causing the BSOD.

Since you can boot into Safe Mode, this eliminates certains devices. Safe Mode uses only the essential devices for a computer to run: MoBo, HDD, monitor, mouse, keyboard, CD/DVD, USB. Other devices are excluded: video, audio, printer, ... So this means it's one of the optional devices. The only way to know is to enable/disable them one by one between Safe Mode and Normal Mode.

here's how you do this. In Safe Mode, go into Device Manager and for each optional device right-click and select "disable" Then boot into Normal Mode and you should reach the Desktop. Now go into DEvice Manager and choose one optional device to enable and reboot. Keep doing this until you find the one that's causes the BSOD to appear. Then you need to re-install that device driver.

To open Device Manager: Start -> right-click My Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager

-- Andy

You have a corrupted device driver which is causing the BSOD.

Since you can boot into Safe Mode, this eliminates certains devices. Safe Mode uses only the essential devices for a computer to run: MoBo, HDD, monitor, mouse, keyboard, CD/DVD, USB. Other devices are excluded: video, audio, printer, ... So this means it's one of the optional devices. The only way to know is to enable/disable them one by one between Safe Mode and Normal Mode.

here's how you do this. In Safe Mode, go into Device Manager and for each optional device right-click and select "disable" Then boot into Normal Mode and you should reach the Desktop. Now go into DEvice Manager and choose one optional device to enable and reboot. Keep doing this until you find the one that's causes the BSOD to appear. Then you need to re-install that device driver.

To open Device Manager: Start -> right-click My Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager

-- Andy

Ohh this sounds promising.

But when I right click on the optional devices I can't disable. The options are just 'scan for hardware changes' and 'properties' Properties doesn't do anything just shows what it is.

I should have given more detail.

You need to open the list for each device type, then right-click on the device. For instance, click on the '+' beside "Display Adapters" and then you should see a list of video devices. Then right-click on the device and a popup menu should appear with an option for "disable"

-- Andy

I should have given more detail.

You need to open the list for each device type, then right-click on the device. For instance, click on the '+' beside "Display Adapters" and then you should see a list of video devices. Then right-click on the device and a popup menu should appear with an option for "disable"

-- Andy

Ahhh yes thank you very much.

One some of them though i.e disk drives, it only has uninstall option, most of the rest have disable though. Is it the same thing? I don't mind uninstalling to be honest.

And just to clarify, Do it for every device, turn off, and start up as normal. If it's still the same problem, try another device to disable/uninstall ?

I will try this all later when I get back tonight, and report back.

Thanks a lot.

Sorry to day this but I take it you're a neophyte with computer troubleshooting. if so, perhaps you should either pay a store to fix this or get a friend who is more computer knowledgeable to assist. I'm really having to hold your hand and this is something that you can't mess with too much because you could make it worse!

It's the optional devices that you need to disable: video, audio, printer, ... The essential devices you don't touch: HDD, mouse, keyboard, monitor, CD/DVD drive, USB. You mentioned you tried to disable the HDD and, well, you can't and you shouldnt!

Do you have a friend who's more computer knowledgebale that can assist you?

-- Andy

I have had this exact problem once. Sound Card driver was the culprit in my case.

My suggestion would be to try running without your sound card and using the integrated GPU.

Sorry to day this but I take it you're a neophyte with computer troubleshooting. if so, perhaps you should either pay a store to fix this or get a friend who is more computer knowledgeable to assist. I'm really having to hold your hand and this is something that you can't mess with too much because you could make it worse!

It's the optional devices that you need to disable: video, audio, printer, ... The essential devices you don't touch: HDD, mouse, keyboard, monitor, CD/DVD drive, USB. You mentioned you tried to disable the HDD and, well, you can't and you shouldnt!

-- Andy

LOL! Yeah I'm very poor in this field. I do, one of my flatmates is a whiz at these things.

But it makes sense now, OPTIONAL DEVICES ONLY haha, thanks.

I didn't try to disable anything, I just wanted to clarify before I tried. But like you said, it's serious stuff so I'll ask my flatmate to support me. Thanks!

good news!

-- Andy

Good news, it has been fixed!

It was the video driver NVDIA GeForce, its disabled now and youtube videos and such are running really slow lol, but my friend said re-install it. If I enable it the BSOD comes back up.

Thanks for helping!!

Dean

Dean, next time you have to check the device Manager, look for a yellow triangle with a black ! point. This indicates an error with the device. Be sure to expand the device> if there is a + sign to the left, as mentioned, you must click on that for all the devices in the category to display.

In the following image, the System Device category has been expanded. This shows you what an error with a device look like:
errorud9.gif

Dean, next time you have to check the device Manager, look for a yellow triangle with a black ! point. This indicates an error with the device. Be sure to expand the device> if there is a + sign to the left, as mentioned, you must click on that for all the devices in the category to display.

In the following image, the System Device category has been expanded. This shows you what an error with a device look like:
errorud9.gif

Ok I will try that now.

Thing is, now I cant use my video driver NVIDIA thing at all. When I enabling it the BSOD shows up again. And me friend did uninstall and install it again but to no avail.

Dean, for some reason, your original error message was overlooked- it is a valid error message:
0x000000D1 Driver_IRQL_not_less_or_equal

When Windows crashes with blue screen, it writes a system event 1001 and a minidump to the folder \windows\minidump
Check system event 1001 and it has the content of the blue screen:

Event ID: 1001
Source: Save Dump
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.The bugcheck was : 0xc000000a (0xe1270188, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804032100).
Microsoft Windows..... A dump was saved in: .......

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System -> Event 1001. Copy the content and paste it back here

Zip 5 to 6 minidumps and attach the zip files here. We'll get someone to check them for you.

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
[1]. Click to open the log>
[2]. Look for the Error>
[3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
[4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
[5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
[6].NOTES
  • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
  • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
  • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
  • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock on BSOD.

Extra Note: you are going to see some Errors saying, for instance 'DCOM didn't load. DCOM can't load in Safe Mode. These are NOT the Error Events you want. Try to find those that displayed while you were in Normal Mode- even briefly.

Instructions for the minidumps are here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic51365.html

And a caution for you: when you use Safe Mode with Networking, your security programs don't load. Use that very sparingly as you are vulnerable.

BTW, You don't need to quote our replies- especially when it's a large image- takes up too much 'room'.
I know there is a 'quote message' box- ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back