Please don't laugh! I need processor help!

By TheSabreStorm
Oct 8, 2007
  1. Okay, this is probably going to sound sad to some of you, but I'm trying to find a replacement processor for my computer that's compatible with my motherboard. I don't have a lot of experience with processors, so I'm getting a little confused.

My girlfriend's old computer has an AMD Athlon 3200, but it won't work in my computer. I was trying to replace the chip that is currently in my computer, which is an AMD Sempron 3000+. I know hers runs better than mine, even with the same amount of RAM, and my better graphic card.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I can't get hers to work, so I can only assume it's incompatible with my motherboard's socket, despite fitting as perfectly as the Sempron does. I don't need something too powerful, and I'd prefer to not spend over a hundred dollars on a new one.
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

"won't work" means what?

Also, you do need to find out the exact model of your motherboard to find out which processors are supported and maybe download a user manual explaining how to switcg CPUs.
  3. TheSabreStorm

TheSabreStorm TS Rookie Topic Starter

Switching the CPU isn't the issue. I got it changed out without much of an issue once I figured out how to take off the heatsinks.

What I mean by "it won't work" is that when I hit the power button, everything fires up, but I get no signal to my monitor, which leads me to believe that it's not processing properly. There's only one way to put the chip into the processor slot, though, so it's not like I could have put it in wrong.

I've read a number of FAQs on how to install and uninstall processors since, and I did everything right. I was just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

The reason I asked if anyone had an idea of what processor I might be able to get is because people here know enough to know that if a motherboard is compatible with an AMD Sempron 3000+, it would be compatible with (insert processor name here). At least, that's what I hoped.

Other than that, how do I figure out what kind of motherboard I have?
  4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

The easiest way is to look at the motherboard and find the product name printed on it :)

As for changing the processor.. It is not that straightforward. There may be jumpers on the motherboard that regulate FSB for example. Or, your motherboard may require a BIOS settings reset to detect the new CPU. Or a BIOS update..
  5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I agree with Nodsu. It`d really help if you could give us your mobo model.

The free Everest programme may help you to identify your mobo.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  6. Scorpius911

Scorpius911 TS Rookie Posts: 17

OR pop your old CPU back in, boot up XP (if thats what your running) and run DXDIAG. MOBO is usually listed under system model.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.