TechSpot

Please Don't Post These Types Of Ads (read)

By Tedster
Jun 22, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Folks, please don't post these types of ads:

Those that claim to have "free" stuff when in reality you have to buy a membership, subscription, or participate in some kind of survey. Therefore the items aren't really free. FREE is FREE (with no strings attached.)

ADS for software that contains trojan horses, ADware, or limited use periods. If users want to try a program, they can download it elsewhere, not here.

ADS that are deceiving - lead the reader to a false link, website, etc...

ADS that are bait and switch - the advertised item is no longer available, but you can buy this (more expensive or inferior version) alternative.

ADS that sell an item that really doesn't do what it claims to do. (if you're not sure, or haven't had experience with the product don't advertise it!)

ADS for companies that don't stand behind their products. (i.e. cheap for a reason - vaporware) or fly-by-night outfits.

We users at Techspot are ONLY interested in really good deals, not crap. If in doubt, don't post it! :dead:

puke:
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Good thoughts. Julio has posted something similar here. And it is a sticky, but people who post that crap are just looking for suckers to click on it. They don't care about the rules.
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,525   +300

Most of the time a moderator will notice those type of threads and delete them fairly quickly after they are posted. If you see one that hangs around for half a day or more you can report the post to a moderator and it will get taken care of.

I'll have broadband at my new apt next week so I'll be checking the boards much more often to catch this sort of thing.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.