Please help....about dual channel memory...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 3.00 ghz processor a 512 mb ram a 256 vram and 160 gb hard disk
will it help me if i install a 1 gb dual channel memory ? in total i will have 1 gb and 512mb ram, am i correcet? will my computer work well if i install de dual channel memory???

i have a 3.00 ghz processor a 512 mb ram a 256 vram and 160 gb hard disk
will it help me if i install a 1 gb dual channel memory ? in total i will have 1 gb and 512mb ram, am i correcet? will my computer work well if i install the dual channel memory???:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Just be patient and I`m sure someone will reply to your problem.

If no one replies, after 24 to 36 hours you can bump this thread.

Regards Howard :)

I don't get what you're planning to do here.
You say you currently have 512MB memory, and you want to add 1GB, but that still does not give you Dual-Channel...

Dual channel memory means two RAM sticks which are completely identical, and are inserted on the same-colored DIMM slots on the motherboard.

First check if your motherboard supports dual channel memory.

If you add a 1GB stick of RAM, it will not be dual channel, since you will have one stick of 1GB and another of 512MB.

If you want dual channel then you need another 512MB stick of RAM which has to be exactly the same speed and size as your other 512MB RAM module.

I hope that answers your question. If not, then please re-word your question.

i have a normal 512 mp ram and i wanna install a dualchannel 1gb ram

Erm..this is where I think you misunderstand the whole Dual Channel thing. Let me explain. "Normal" and "Dual Channel" are not types of RAM.

It cannot be a 1GB dual channel RAM. Dual-channel is always plural, since there's two sticks. A 1GB module cannot be named Dual Channel, because DualChannel means two.

If you want dual-channel,

If you want dual channel then you need another 512MB stick of RAM which has to be exactly the same speed and size as your other 512MB RAM module.

I hope that answers your question. Post again on any other uncertainties.

You can install this memory, but it will not run as dual channel unless the motherboard supports dual channel operation

If your motherboard supports Dual Channel memory, then yes it will be fine, you can install it and it will be dual channel.

Grafficks said:
If your motherboard supports Dual Channel memory, then yes it will be fine, you can install it and it will be dual channel.

Didn't I just say this in my previous post?

Tmagic650 said:
Didn't I just say this in my previous post?

whoops..:blush:

EDIT: Hey another thing I just thought about. After RobinHood gets his 1GB dual channel kit, what could he do with that remaining 512MB RAM (the one he currently is using)? Is it possible to add a third module to a Dual Channel configuration, without disrupting the first two?

generally speaking to run memory in dual channel mode (assuming the memory controller supports it) you must install an even number of matched* memory sticks.

*= matched sticks are identical in type, speed, latency, density, & size. some memory controllers are pickier than others about matched RAM. sometimes you can get away with running two unmatched sticks of same size RAM in dual channel, but to be on the safe side it is always recommended to run only matched sticks.

this means that if Grafficks installs the 1GB "dual channel kit" alone, it should run in dual channel, if he installs the 1GB "dual channel kit" alongside the original 512MB stick, the system will have an odd number of memory sticks, as a result it will only run in single channel mode (if it boots at all)

P.S. -there were a few [triple RAM slot] Intel-based motherboards in the past that would allow dual channel operation with 3 memory sticks, but only in certain configurations. 1 stick had to equal the sum of the other two sticks combined (for example slot#1=512MB, slot#2=256MB, slot#3=256MB). I am not sure which models supported this and I am also not aware of any AMD-based motherboards that ever supported it.

cheers :wave:

So,, what i understand is: i can't install a dual channel kit with 1 gb cuz i have a 512 ram i'm a little confused:confused:

This is my motherboard : gigabyte 8i915PL-G

KingCody said:
generally speaking to run memory in dual channel mode (assuming the memory controller supports it) you must install an even number of matched* memory sticks.

*= matched sticks are identical in type, speed, latency, density, & size. some memory controllers are pickier than others about matched RAM. sometimes you can get away with running two unmatched sticks of same size RAM in dual channel, but to be on the safe side it is always recommended to run only matched sticks.

this means that if Grafficks installs the 1GB "dual channel kit" alone, it should run in dual channel, if he installs the 1GB "dual channel kit" alongside the original 512MB stick, the system will have an odd number of memory sticks, as a result it will only run in single channel mode (if it boots at all)

P.S. -there were a few [triple RAM slot] Intel-based motherboards in the past that would allow dual channel operation with 3 memory sticks, but only in certain configurations. 1 stick had to equal the sum of the other two sticks combined (for example slot#1=512MB, slot#2=256MB, slot#3=256MB). I am not sure which models supported this and I am also not aware of any AMD-based motherboards that ever supported it.

cheers :wave:

thats funny, cuz I have 2 512 Corsair XMS stick in dual channel when I ran a second generic 512mb stick, it still showed up as "Dual Channel mode" in bois info... and yes read 1.5Gbs. there was also a slight performance increase..
Crazy cuz memory is suppose to run at the lowest(slowest) stick timmings.

no, you should remove the old 512 stick and then install 1gb kit to get dual channel
if you leave the old 512 stick in the slot and put the new kit there is no way to get dual channel
1x512+2x512= 3 sticks, for dual channel you need 2 or 4

but..

but he said ::
thats funny, cuz I have 2 512 Corsair XMS stick in dual channel when I ran a second generic 512mb stick, it still showed up as "Dual Channel mode" in bois info... and yes read 1.5Gbs. there was also a slight performance increase..
Crazy cuz memory is suppose to run at the lowest(slowest) stick timmings.

so he has the same settings

Wow, this thread is quite the mess as there is a lot of conflicting information!

To finalize what you need to know RobinHood:

No, you CANNOT have Dual-Channel with an odd number of memory sticks. You need 2 or 4 memory sticks and each pair needs to be identical in order to have dual-channel. If your 512mb now is 2x256mb, then you can add that 2x512mb (1 gig) kit along with your 2x256mb (512mb) and obtain 1.5 gig, dual-channel as you'll have four sticks.

Whoever tries to tell you they have dual-channel with 3 sticks is confused as it's not possible. It doesn't matter if it's "reported" as dual-channel, whatever is reporting this is wrong. It isn't physically possible. It's rarely possible if they are confused with an AMD/Athlon thing known as "DualDDR" which can work and designed for THREE sticks, but this is not dual-channel, has no relation to dual-channel, and is only muddling and complicating the facts/help here.

You have an Intel-chipset, dual-channel capable motherboard. You will need memory in PAIRS of identical types in order to achieve dual-channel. It's as simple as that. That 1gig dual-channel kit you linked will work well BY ITSELF as it's 2x512mb sticks. Whether or not you can use your 512mb and still remain in dual-channel will depend how your 512mb is allocated. If it's one stick, no- using it will make all 3 sticks single-channel. If it's 2x256mb, then yes, you can use it along with your 2x512 and all four sticks will run in dual-channel mode.

Thanks for the final correct info Sharkfood. I wasn't confused, but many others were. RobinHood, have you ever wondered why some memory is sold in matched pairs? They are needed for dual-channel operation...

to clarify the "conflicting information" here...

In most cases, you must run an even number of matched RAM sticks (2 or 4) for dual channel, but on certain motherboards, it is indeed possible to run memory in dual-channel with 3 RAM sticks. see here for more info.
www.Intel.com said:
Three DIMMs - Populated Symmetrically

You will get Dual Channel Mode if you populate the memory slots with three DIMMs, such as in this example:
dualf.jpg

For three-DIMM dual channel mode, the DIMMs in Channel A must match and the DIMM in Channel B (either slot) must be equal in capacity to all of Channel A.

I had only heard of Intel boards supporting it, but according to Superinc's post, his AMD-based Abit NF-7 (if he is referring to the system in his signature) also supported it as well. whether it supports it or not is motherboard/memory controller specific.

RobinHood, read your motherboard manual to see if it supports dual channel in odd numbered configurations, and if so, what slots they need to be in. if you don't have the manual then you can download it from Gigabyte's website.

:wave:

So if in the case above Channel A's total is 2GB, Channel B would have to be a single 2GB stick?

KingCody said:
In most cases, you must run an even number of matched RAM sticks (2 or 4) for dual channel, but on certain motherboards, it is indeed possible to run memory in dual-channel with 3 RAM sticks.
That is basically the "DualDDR" configuration, which isn't quite the same as Dual-Channel, albeit you will have two channels, one for read, one for write but with limits on many operations. (i.e. not truly "dual-channel").

DualDDR is more popular (and supported) on AMD systems as they allow two banks that add-up to the third bank. This was commonplace as many only shipped with 3-DIMM slots. You could, in essence, add two(2) 512mbs, then a single 1gig to achieve the distinct channels.

In the case of the 90% though, you wont find bios or memory controller support on generic mainboards with any of this. Dual-channel on most 3rd party motherboards (and BIOS's) is limited solely to memory pairs for full-utilization and two channel memory operation.

I have only seen Intel Desktop Boards with Dual Channel bios and Dual Channel capability. I suppose other hi-end manufacturers have dual channel boards too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back