Please help - black screen on xp startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my problem:I have 2 copies of xp pro ronning on my cpu on different drives, on one drive I can start windows with no problem and my video display is fine. However on my other windows installation on a different drive (when the display was working) I disabled the windows generic driver in desktop-properties-display properties-settings-advanced-adapter-properties -where the display adapter was listed and under device usage I disabled the device (ouch) .
Now when I start that installation of windows it will load windows I will hear the sound when windows logs on and be at the desk top but the monitor is totally blank.
I've tried booting into safe mode and vga mode with the same results.
I have also tried booting with windows install disc and entering repair mode then enableing vgasave service_system_start
my bios is set to agp
my graphics card is an nvidia tnt2 model 64 pro

If any one can help me out with this I would consider you a genius

That's a very silly thing to have done. Unfortunately, I have to admit to doing exactly that myself when having problems updating my graphics card drivers. Whether there is another way out I'd love to know but I ended up reinstalling Windows. Fortunately it was my backup computer so the loss of all data wasn't critical. Sadly, I'm not a genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back