Please help, complete novice! Where do i get dump from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TypeRatLast

HI I have the restart problem.

I have tried to follow everything suggested on here but so bad now that it won't even run some of the suggestted tests!

Doesn't go blue screen even after changing settings as told on here.

Errr, basically it sometimes goes black screen with massive mouse arrow and does nothing. Then at others it has suddenly restarted and as it gets to windows it just recycles restart.

HELP! Don't understand half of what it says on here which doesn't help.

Can anyone be patient and lead me through stuff??????????

Thanks in advance hopefully

Dan

%SystemRoot%\Minidump, or c:\Windows\Minidump; kernel and full dumps are located at %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP or c:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. For Windows 2000, memory dump files are located at c:\winnt\memory.dmp.

Or just do a Start -> Search-> All Files and Folders -> *.dmp
OK

The ones in the Windows folder is what we need as an attachment

Inside the two minidumps:

-------------------
BugCheck 1000000A, {e0ea5fe4, 2, 1, 8051e145}
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

BugCheck 1000000A, {41053130, 2, 0, 8051e0bc}
Probably caused by : memory_corruption
-------------------

Please download Memtest and do a scan on your Ram card(s)

hi I have downloaded memtest but can't get it to run! It opens a little black box when i double click the exe!

I am sorry for being so thick!!!!!!!!!!!

Hang on

Just refresh this screen in 5-10 mins, I want to check memtest is OK
But it sounds like you're missing an ISO burner program like Nero

I'll edit here:

Hi immediate unexpected interrupt - Halting

Type Gen_Prot then loads of letters and numbers. Highlighted in red.

Does that mean it's the ram??

Thanks

Sorry for the delay

Gen_Prot refers to unexpected interrupts (?)

It was a tad difficult finding information on this, but it seems either your disc (that you just made) is faulty
Or your BIOS (CMOS) requires a reset

I'd do both

Create a new Disc or Disk (depending on CD or Floppy)

And also go into your CMOS (you should notice a prompt to go into CMOS (Setup;BIOS) when your computer first starts.
Then reset all to defaults (or optimized defaults)

You could also remove all ram except for one (this is the internal hardware stuff)
And try testing one at a time. (Hardware experience and user manual required)

Hi created new disk, sometimes i get the gen prot othertimes I get different ones. It never gets through any more than 18% of a pass at a time and anything from 3 to 18 errors are found before it stops.

I am getting the ram replaced with new today.

I have reset all defaults on the bios thing.

After the ram is in I will try memtest again I think? If that runs ok then will see what happens.

Thanks for all your help in this it is very much appreciated.

Dan

HI latest update!

I have replaced the ram and ran memtest. No problem with memtest at all.

Just starting to work it hard now and see.

Thanks for all your help and advice

Dan

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Been sat there fine then decided to install office 2003 on it. It started autoplay no problem, I left it while I was on my laptop, went back to it and hit the tab button to move to type in serial number.

The screen went blank, didn't lose signal this time (?), the hdd light went off, the keyboard did nothing or mouse, the fans were running and the motherboard light was on, the keyboard numberlock was still on. but nothing!!!!!

Only way I could sort it was power off. When I started back up it said it had recovered from a fatal error so just trying to copy that dump file for you if you don't mind!?

So sorry, bloody thing!!!!!!!!!!

0x8E which are nearly always caused by hardware ussues. The dump said probable cause was memory corruption.

A couple of questions:

1. Is your system overclocked?

2. Is your memory compatible with your motherboard? I am not talking DDR or DDR2 here; I'm talking name brand, i.e., Kingston, Crucial, etc.

3. Is your RAM mismatched?

Hi

Not overclocked as far as I know? How do I find out?

Not sure on compatibility? Bought from local supplier and there own brand i have used before.

Only one single sim in slot 1

?? (thanks for your reply)

If you didn't overclock then its not overclocked. Sometimes when overclockers try to get more out of their hardware they will "push" their RAM and CPU by increasing the voltage. If not careful it can bring stability (even permanent damage).

Just what is the name of this brand of RAM?

Ah, no wonder I never heard of this brand before. I am just a little west of you, say New Jersey, U.S.A. :)

Anyway, my suggestion to you is try a name brand like Kingston, G.Skill, OCZ, Corsair, to name a few, and see if that brings stability.

ok so you still think ram?

It is an asus motherboard and quite old so had someone suggest today I just change the motherboard and processor. Seemed over the top to me?

Well here is the thing about ASUS motherboards: They are quite well known for being picky, sometimes very picky, about the memory it will use.

If you know the model of your motherboard visit their website, check out your particular board and see what they say about memory suggestions.

Just how old is your motherboard and processor?

2006 so two years this year, also running an intel centrino which I was told is a dodgy processor! You know what it's like everyone suddenly tells you they are experts when they here you are having pc problems.

Hence I came on here to get proper advice!!!!!!!

I don't want to be beaten by this, but at the same time just wondering whether I should stuff it and buy a new pc

No, that is not a dodgy processor. Can you tell me the model of it? Here is the thing: s your PC doing everything you need it to do (besides having the BSOD)? If it is there is absolutely no reason for you to change out your motherboard/processor.

HI all i know is it is a 3ghz intel celeron.

Can't find any info on the asus website regards my motherboard and ram compatibility.

The original stick of ram had shown serious errors on memtest, whereas this new one shows fine after several runs?

To go back for you, I have fitted new power supply, new hdd (ide from sata if makes any difference), ran benchmark test stuff all ok.

But while generally playing with it this evening I have had so many errors come up as if it is really badly messed up. Can't begin to tell you how many times something has come and said blah blah send report to microsoft thing!

Seems impossible to solve this one? My extremely limited knowledge would think ram test ok, hdd test ok, (both new) brand new genuine install of xp pro, new power supply, have to try something big next surely? Motherboard, cpu?

One other thing, the pc will sit quite happily for hours just going to screen saver, then blank monitor and come back on request etc.

This is only when actually doing anything such as installing software/updates or using the net.

As regards your question, yes the pc is absolutely great when it is working! I do not play games etc. I do watch dvd's sometimes, backup to dvd sometimes, then mainly internet and office 2003 stuff!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back