Please Help - Dying Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I'm not saying my computers the best in the world, but its worked fine until about 3 months ago. We've got AVG, Ad-aware and Zone Alarm Plus, but they all say there's no viruses on the computer, so I really can't understand why its running so slow! Really hope any of you can help?

Check your HDD using the appropriate diagnostic tool from your HDD manufacturer's website. To find your HDD manufacturer, you can use a program like SIW.

What about running low on HDD space? (how much free space you got) I'm told that can dramatically slow down your system if you are running on empty?

( I know my pc wasnt happy when my HDD was almost out of free space)

Memory adequate? Hard drive age and free space? Infestations and infections? Cookings and files overload? Windows corrupt? Those are the ones which cause the most damage.
We do NOT find AVG useful, and adware does NO GOOD at all. Zone Alarm Plus is ok... but
I would want AVAST or Avira Antivir, Spyware Sweeper or SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes, Windows Defender instead.
If your hard drive is three years old, find time to replace it. If your memory is less than 1GB, replace it... but I would want 2 GB at a minimum. If it has anywhere close to 24% free space it is done, although the lower limit is 17%. When it is at 17% it is FULL. And as it gets closer to 30% or below, your system will start to compress art, music, and image files... which gives you space but makes it slower.
Scans by a good antivirus and two or more spyware scanners...
Then if anything is found, run the 8 Steps found elsewhere on this forum.

Hi,
Thanks for all the quick replies! I checked my free space (well I hope thats what it is) By clicking on my C drive and it says, File System: NTFS, Free space: 86.5GB, Total Size: 109GB.... although I have a feeling im talking about the completely wrong thing here!

Thanks for all the advice about AVG and Ad-aware being bad, Im just downloading Avira now and about to do the 8 steps programme. raybay, yeah my computer really does need updating but to be honest, we use the office computer for all the big files like films, games and stuff like that, mines only used for music, facebook and college work etc. But yeah, it really does need updating, It's just annoying because It never used to be this slow (It's probably just knackered lol) but i think its about 3/4 years old now.

REALLY appreciate all of this guys! Will update you all as soon as i've done these scans! Oh and if I've put the wrong stuff up about my memory, just let me know lol, I'm not really good when it comes to stuff like this lol, really sorry!!

Slowing speed is a serious issue, and it is good you are dealing with it now...
We can perhaps be more helpful if we know the brand and model of the drive... Free space is excellent, of course, but a failing drive will slow down everything... and a four year old drive could be failing if it is a Hitachi, Maxtor, Tri-Gem or certain silver colored Western Digital drives.
Also, we need your memory... how many of what type modules... or the motherboard they are in... the info you have given so far does not mention memory.

If you do not know all this stuff, go to www.majorgeeks.com and download Everest. It is free and will inventory your entire computer.

a failing drive will slow down everything... and a four year old drive could be failing if it is a Hitachi, Maxtor, Tri-Gem or certain silver colored Western Digital drives.

Gee thanks for throwing that tip out there raybay. I just 'googled' my part # for my Harddrive and have a Hitachi - which is just over 5 years old.:(
I hope I didn't get jinxed on this but I'm getting a 'ghost backup' unit which was recommended in my post ASAP...

Ok, I've downloaded Everest and I've got these results:

Motherboard
CPU Type - Intel Celeron D 320, 2400 MHz (18 x 133)
Motherboard Chipset - VIA VT8751A Apollo P4M266A
System Memory - 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)

Motherboard Physical Info

CPU Sockets/Slots - 1
Expansion Slots - 3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR
RAM Slots - 2 DIMM
Form Factor - Micro ATX
Motherboard Size - 210 mm x 240 mm

Motherboard Manufacturer

Company Name - Micro-Star International

Hope all this stuff is useful to you? If not just let me know what else you need. There was also two links for product information and BIOS download, but both links are dead, and i can't post them here because of my post count being too low. But basically I went to www . msi . com and clicked a live update, the screen loaded saying now loading... and that was it lol. nothing happened.

Thanks for the help by the way, I really do appreciate it!

EDIT - I switched over to Internet Explorer and the updates are working, I'm currently updating the drivers now lol

P.S I realise this computer is naff, lol but it never used to run as slow as it is recently, and until I can get some money to update / replace it, Im just trying to do the best I can to keep it going!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back