TechSpot

Please help: hissing/crackling noises from 6800GS

By robgodd
Jan 22, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi All,

I've recently installed an AGP 6800GS card, and I'm amazed at how good it is. There's a problem I've been having, though: After playing intensive games like Far Cry and FEAR for about 20 minutes, a scary hissing/crackling sound comes from the card that increases in volume and frequency, and stops as soon as I quit out of the 3D sections. It sounds like it's gonna blow!

I do have the card overclocked with Rivatuner from 350mhz core to 390mhz, and the memory up a tiny bit too. My case is pretty well cooled, and there's a PCI exhaust fan sitting right next to the card; it's temperature doesn't seem to go above 65 celsius on load.

Am I simply overclocking it too much? Or could the PSU be the problem - it's not a particularly good one, but I've never had problems with it.

Any suggestions / help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

2. robgodd

robgodd TS Rookie Topic Starter

I've solved the problem by changing the PSU to a decent Antec one.

Thanks for all your help, guys...

3. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

Glad it worked out for you!

I would have thought it was a faulty fan on the card, as it only happens when you are in the intense parts of games. I have never heard a card scream at you when the PSU is too weak (usually a crash instead).

Thanks for reporting back. I'll have to remember this!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.