Please help, I'm at wits end here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there, please help me with the problem i currently have.
First let me explain what happened.
I'm using asus p5vdc-mx motherboard with P4-3gig processor. I've been running with onboard vga from asus all this time, and decided to get myself a new vga card.
So i bought ati radeon 9000 pro, and tried to install it.
That's where the problem begin.
at first window recognize the new hardware, but then just about when I tried to install the driver, the windows freeze. I proceed to restart the window, but it freeze at the welcome icon you have when windows finished loging in.
Then i tried to login window using safe mode, and try to install the driver at safe mode. it worked, or so i thought. the driver was succesfully installed, and requested that i reboot my comp.
rebooted the comp and it freeze at the welcome window again, and it got worse, i cant even start window at safe mode now. it always hang.
what baffles me that if i unplugged the vga card and use my onboard vga, i dont have problem loggin in to window or do other activities with my comp.

I'm sorry for my broken english, for its not my native languange, but can anyone please help me solve this problem?
Ideas, please ?
Thanks very much

Please post a link to your motherboard specifications and your graphics card.

Also, have you checked the power requirements for the card? Is your PSU providing sufficient power?

motherboard :ASUS-MB-ASUS-P5VDC-MX (cant provide link, the forum wont allow me)
Vga Card :Unitech Optimus 9000 Pro

I'm currently using 450w power supply, thought it was providing sufficient power, i dont know honestly.
not a computer literate to be honest >.<
anyway, thoughts ?

Is your card AGP, PCI or PCI-E?

The 450W PSU should actually suffice. What brand is it?

Is there any way you could test the graphics card on another machine to check whether there are any problems?

The Unitech Optimus 9000 Pro is an AGP graphic card, and from what i've read from the manufacturer site, my mainboard should have supported it.
Anyway, still cant find the problem nor the solution for it.
Updated : I noticed that when i'm trying to boot with safe mode, the command line just stop at the Mup.sys. Any thoughts on how this relates to my prob.
Again, This problem is not occured when i use my onboard vga card, only when i plug the monitor to the agp card that this problem happens.
Tried to reinstall window, still having the same prob, and i'm really afraid that its either the vid card, or the mainboard. gonnna try to install the card to my friends comp.
But untill then, any thoughts or suggestion would be very welcomed.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back