Please help - laptop not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well heres what happened. My computer froze. I was unable to reboot with control alt delt, so i was forced to do a cold shutdown.

When i turned the computer back on the initial screen popped up, where it tell you what type a processor you have. Then a a black screen with some red symbols popped up and the computer froze again.

Now when i turn the power on i see the green light for the power, the fan spins, and the cd rom drive spins, but nothing else. I have nothing on my display...and the hard drive light does not come on like it should when it boots.

Does anyone know what could be the problem?? any help would be great!

thanks

andrew

That's so generic it could be anything from a bad HD to some memory going bad to any number of things. The red symbols onscreen lead me to lean towards the memory......or even a keyboard going whacky!

Sorry this isn't more help.......

Just out of curiosity, what had you been doing prior to this happening?

i was just on the internet....i wasnt opening any email....on yahoo i think actually. and the mouse just locked up. i tried removing the batter and putting it back in..didnt help...i tried taking out everything i had connected, but it didnt work either.

the only light that comes on is the power light. the other lights...for the hard drive indicator, and number lock will flash on when i hit the power button but then go off and not come back.

thanks for the help

sure

It was a made by a company called micropro out of cleveland.

Its an athlon xp 2400. 30 GB HD. CR/RW 24x, 256 megs of ram. and an ati radeon 9000 64mb.

hope that helps a bit

andrew

A couple things to check.

Is your memory in one or two modules? If two, remove and replace them one at a time to see if you have a bad stick.

Do you have a volt meter or multimeter handy to test the 5V and 12V sides of the power supply under load (at least one drive should be plugged in)?

well i have taken over to a local store to get checked out, since i didnt want to do further damage to it. Should i ask them to check thos things out?? if it was a matherboard problem, would the fan, and cd rom drive still work??? just curious.

oh i believe the ram in in one piece.

thanks

My mistake.....I re-read the topic to see the "laptop". No, don't test it yourself. I've got no other ideas. Unless anybody else can come up with something, I'd suggest a trip to the shop....providing you've got a reputable one around. Ask friends to recommend one.

well just an update here. i got the laptop display to come on a few times. it seems to happen when i put a cd in the drive. I was able to get to the bios once, but after about a minute or so the computer froze. The other time it just got to the memory check and froze. The place i took it to replaces the memory and the processor but neither seemed to fix the problem.

Any new advice someone can give??

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back