Please Help..!! Maxtor USB HDD - The File or Directory is Corrupted & Unreadable..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deviouz

I was recently transferring copies of some files from my PC to my external Maxtor 200GB USB HDD,
after i was finished transferring the files i tried to access a large 35GB .RAR file on there that i had just copied over, and it wouldnt let me a access it for some reason even though the file size was the same as the one on my pc..
so i unpluged the USB-HDD from that pc & pluged it into my other pc. But somehow in the process of doing that i guess I got some sort of a "Drive write cache failure" or something... not realy sure what it said becuase i saw it once and from then on i can no longer even access into the HDD for some reason, because now i keep getting this ERROR every time i try to open the HDD.
3zrjnuu.png

* I tried a Chkdsk on the drive & it gave me this "The drive, the path, or the file name is not valid."
* Ran SpinRite on it for 12Hrs and still cant access the drive

what else can i do to get my data back of this HDD or even access it..???

Write caching is something that Windows does to boost disk access performance. Typically with hard drives, Windows will not write data to an HDD *immediately*, instead it will write it to memory and copy it to the drive later on during idle time. This is why when you plug in a USB drive a "Safely Remove Hardware" icon always appears. Using that icon tells the computer to write all cached data to the drive so that you can unplug it without losing any data. "Drive write cache failure" means you unplugged it while unwritten data was still in the cache - data which is now lost.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is what that error means.

* This is why when you plug in a USB drive a "Safely Remove Hardware" icon always appears. Using that icon tells the computer to write all cached data to the drive so that you can unplug it without losing any data.

Thats the thing though i had the HDD set for "optimize for quick removal"
so once all the files had been copied over i just unplugged it like a min. later
cuz that setting means i dont have to use that icon..
------------

* "Drive write cache failure" means you unplugged it while unwritten data was still in the cache - data which is now lost.

But I had "optimize for quick removal" enabled on it, which says that, this setting disables write caching on the disk & in windows.. so why would it be writing to the cache then..???

so why am i not even able to go browse into the HDD from explore now then.?? then drive shows up in my computer when i plug it in via USB, but i just keep getting this error when ever i try to go into it though..??
3zrjnuu.png

so what are my options..???
what can i do though to get back into my HDD without loosing any of my DATA..??
and software, or what.. please help please..??

Settle down.
There is no reason to bump a thread after a couple hours. I think the obvious thing to have done here is to run a chkdsk on the drive. You didn't mention having done that.

* I tried a Chkdsk on the drive & it gave me this "The drive, the path, or the file name is not valid."

IS there any software that would work to give me access back to my HDD & it DATA... or am i just FUKD....????

Yes! Data Recovery Software, I've use O&O software they work, but they're not for free though...

Disk Recovery
Data Recovery

Deviouz said:
What is O&O .????

Would this work at all http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecoveryprofessional/
is that any good..???

Yes it is but, do you want to do it the easy way?

O&O
http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/products/

Disk Recovery
http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/products/oodiskrecovery/

On the O&O site you have Home and Business software, so I don't know which one you would use. I use most of there programs without problems.

Defrag - all systems here use it..
UnEase save me from lost files that got deleted in My document ..
CleverCache - just installed (testing it) suppose to reduce file cache system by 123MB instead of 297MB and free up RAM
Disk/Data Recovery works great...

Ontrack is more expensive but should do a good job if you want that software.

Thanks for your thread here Deviouz, and thanks for your comment tipstir. I have just tried the Ontrack version, and yes whilst it's a bit costly, it has easily recovered all of my data.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back