Please help me! client computer issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedShirt

Hello all

I set up a wireless router (cable) a few months ago and all has run quite well. I have a dell 4300 dimension desktop serving as the host computer. My router is a linksys WRT54G version 6. My friend who lives with us has an archaic Compaq Armada E500 laptop, which is the only client computer. I have windows xp home and she has XP professional running.

She is connected wirelessly to the system with a wireless 802.11B PCMCIA adapter WF721-AEX.

Like I said, all was well until yesterday.

She suddenly received a message saying that her IP address could not be renewed. She had a limited to no connectivity symbol. I tried to repair the connection but it did not work. I went to the c prompt function and tried ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew, but it told me that it could not do anything because the media was not connected.

So I gave it the computer its own IP address, and then it connected to my network. Then, it could send packets but it could not receive packets.

My router's IP is 192.168.1.1....the host is .10 and the client i have as .20. I tried doing everythign that the troubleshooter told me to, including changing the default gateway, but nothing worked.

I went into my linksys router webpage and did ping tests. All of them worked. I used the c prompt function to run a ping test from the client laptop. All of those tests ran smoothly.

So I told the computer to automatically assign an IP address, and it went back to the same problem...limited to no connectivity...I tried everything I could find regarding this problem on various webpages and nothing helps. I've tweaked every setting I know how. I've spent 8 hours now sitting in this chair trying to fix something I don't know how to fix.

Oh, and by the way, i also found out that her laptop has stopped recognizing that it has a CD drive. So I can't put my linksys cd in to fix it, nor can I put the driver cd in for the wireless adapter card to fix it.

So the problem is with one PC rather than all? The other PC's that are connected within your LAN, are they able to obtain an IP address?

If it is only one PC, the problem lies there. If all can't connect, reboot all devices firstly, then go from there. If still unable to connect, we'll talk more.

The CD-ROM not showing up in device manager could be hardware related. With the W-NIC, try un-installing it through device manager and rebooting. Windows should re-install the W-NIC. Then try and connect to the WAP again.

Let us know how you go.

The host PC (my Dell desktop) is operating fine. I have it set to keep its IP address (manual IP address).

It is her laptop that cannot get its IP address; or, if i set it manually, it can send but not receive packets.

I've tried rebooting and reconnecting both computers and the router. Like a hundred times today.

Redshirt

so your connection is aok, but her wireless(b) fails.

update the firmware on your router and her wireless card.

Can you determine how many other wireless routers are in the area
(use her View Connections to see what's within range)

Make sure you use a channel that no one else is using.

check firewall on her laptop
sounds like a virus ?? I love saying that
did it get dropped reseat the cd drive

don't use the wireless
check the cables switch 'm around with know working net connection

in reply

Good morning everyone.

At the time of her "card crash" as I'd like to call it, there was only one other network available, and it was an open network too (no security code required).

Can you tell me how to update my router firmware on my computer? Also, if it involves using a cd on her laptop, remember that her cd drive isn't working...so I would have to fit everything onto a flashdrive if possible.

I also turned of the Windows firewall. I can't run a virus check on it until I can connect to the internet, unfortunately.

Nightmare Day #2

It doesn't make any sense to me that the connection will send and receive ping packets but won't receive any other packets.

ping is a special protocol that is different from email, urls, ftp, ....
a firewall will manage each of these separately and even if there were NO
firewall, your browser can be hijacked (rendering it useless or redirecting the requests)
all the while still allowing nslookup and ping to function normally.

welcome to the Internet

Have you tried uninstalling her wireless card through device manager and rebooting?

When you assign her W-NIC a static IP address, what did you type in as her DNS server/s? Can you ping the DNS servers that you entered from your Dell? Make the gateway her DNS server, along with a known DNS server (if you have one) as her secondary. Then tracert or pathping from a cmd line to both a public IP address and a hostname (203.2.75.2 - www.google.com.

I gave up :( and that's unusual for me

I gave up on the computer...and that is unusual for me. But the laptop is an ancient P.o.S...I think maybe something happened with the card, or she dropped the laptop and isn't telling me. I've tried everything that you guys suggested, and it just won't cooperate. The Comcast repairman was here today and he took a look at it and he can't do anything with it either (although he admitted he doesn't know much about computers, but that is a relative statement).

I want to thank you all for your input. You were very helpful and you guys are very informed people. I hope to learn from you all as time goes by.

Best Regards,

Red Shirt and Shyla

Hello, all. A few weeks ago I posted a thread called Help! Client computer issues, or something like that.

To all of those who helped me, thank you. It turns out that the laptop needed a new network card, and somehow it wouldn't support a wired cable connection either (but the guy who is fixing it says that the card messed that up too).

Thank you all again.

Red Shirt and Shyla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back