Please help me configure my new RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm a total noob so I don't even know why I want to do this but... that's why you are here to help I suppose ;)

So, I bought a new pair of dual channel RAM. They don't have any info on them except that they are 2x512 MB dual paired, work at 667MHz and have CL5 latency and they are Goodrams. I didn't configure their timings and let the BIOS do it, but I think it it screwed things up a bit, because I'm getting BSOD errors which look RAM related. Besides, TestMem utility shows errors.

I want to configure the timings manually in such a manner that I'd be sure that those RAMs are stable, I don't care about performance at this point. In other words, I'd like you to suggest me some safe, low-performance timings.

Please tell me what I should change in the following BIOS parameters layout:
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1046/tweakerkx3.jpg

Oh and one more question: can I UNDERclock my RAM (from 667 to, say, 500MHz) without changing their voltage?

Try setting the DRAM Timing Selectable to By SPD, but it's most likely a compatibility problem - I've never heard of that brand. Test one stick at a time as well. And yes, you can underclock the memory without adjusting the voltage.

The problem may be related to faulty ram, which need to be replaced. Use Memtest to check, very good software.
BTW, I've never heard of Goodrams before, are they a generic company?? If so send back the ram, and get some good branded stuff.

goodrams are cheap, they are not no-names but still... lifetime warranty and high frequency.... I thought they'd be just fine... as we can see, one shouldn't save cash on rams... memtest returned 10 errors in 20 minute session, so most probably that's the culprit, or perhaps something needs to be enabled, disabled, i don't know, I'll try this By SPD setting.

peterdiva said:
Try setting the DRAM Timing Selectable to By SPD, but it's most likely a compatibility problem - I've never heard of that brand. Test one stick at a time as well. And yes, you can underclock the memory without adjusting the voltage.

Unfortunately I cannot choose "By SPD", only options are either Auto (which I have now) and Manual, after which I can choose the timings myself. So can you please give me any suggestions for the safe, low settings? I read somewhere 4-4-4-12 is pretty basic, but which number corresponds to which setting in my BIOS above, can you please instruct me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back