Please help me get rid of my trojan dialler and anything else that looks funny

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpvincent

Hi there,

I see some people have been getting advice as to how to clean their machines of trojans etc. I have a trojan dialler on mine (and maybe some other stuff) that keeps popping up.

Attached is my Hijackthis output:

Can anyone let me know what I need to do to clean it?

Many thanks

Mike.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go and read the Trojan Pakes and other nasties preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of mpvincent only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thanks for all the help - I have run through the process and now attach the files.

Could you guys confirm if it looks clean?

Many thanks again.

Mike.

Rik,

Would I take it from your email that my system is clean but you recommend me uninistalling symantic products and installing AVG and zonealarm?

Many thanks

Mike.

You do have other problems still but getting rid of that norton CRAP wont be a bad thing!!!!

I am still in the process of learning about HJT logs, so i would advise you to wait untill Howard gives you instructions on how to fix the other problems!!!!!

But for now, getting rid of norton is a good idea, it causes far more problems than it ever solves!!!! Just have a look at this little lot - http://www.computergripes.com/nortonantivirus2004.html

Thanks Rik,

Have taken your advice and uninstalled symantic and installed AVG and ZoneAlarm.

I tried using the program to clean off symantic but it crashes half way through for some reason. I think I was probably running a newer version than the program allows.

I look forward to hearing from Howard.

Cheers

Mike.

Did you manage to get rid of norton?

Post another HJT log and i will take a look at it if you want!!!!

Yup, looks like you are clear of norton!!:) Any difference in speed of your pc?? (even google spell checker doesn't like the word norton hehe).

I can advise you about the other problems if you want, but remember i am still learning!!!! It's your choice!!!!

Yes it does seem to be a little faster :)

Yup - if there are some suggestions you could make then that would be great. Also I thought winxp has its own firewall enabled - why do I need ZoneAlarm?

Thanks

Mike.

Windows firewall isn't that good at stopping much, zone alarm works far better!!!!

You may want to cut and paste these instructions into notepad!!!!

Reboot and select safe mode, then rename hijackthis.exe to hijackthis1991.exe (some spyware can hide from HJT)!!

Open these instructions with notepad, then start hjt and get it to fix the following by putting a tick in the boxes then hitting the "fix checked" button!!
Then reboot into normal mode and do a new HJT log!!

O1 - Hosts: 69.57.152.127 auto.search.msn.com

O1 - Hosts: 69.57.152.127 auto.search.msn.es

O1 - Hosts: 69.57.152.127 pagead2.googlesyndication.com

See how your pc reacts after that!!!!

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it. Double click on the following services(if there) and select stop if they are running. Set the startup type to disabled. Click apply/ok for each service you disable.

Active Common Service

Close the services window.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

commserv.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O1 - Hosts: 69.57.152.127 auto.search.msn.com

O1 - Hosts: 69.57.152.127 auto.search.msn.es

O1 - Hosts: 69.57.152.127 pagead2.googlesyndication.com

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {F18F04B0-9CF1-4b93-B004-77A288BEE28B} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\aqapalip.dll (file missing)

O23 - Service: Active Common Service - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\commserv.exe (file missing)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\WINDOWS\system32\commserv.exe

Delete all files in AVG Antispyware quarantine.

Reboot into normal mode, turn system restore back on and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log and let me know how your system is running.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of mpvincent only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

That's the proper way to do it!!!!

Sorry Howard, was just trying to help out a little!!!!

No problem mate.

I`m glad you`re taking an interest.

If you Yahoo/Google commserv.exe, you`ll see that`s it`s a backdoor trojan and needs to be got rid of.

Rik/Howard,

Thankyou both very much for helping me out!!

Everything seems to me more responsive - could be due to removing symantic more than anything :)

Attached is revised output.

Mike.

Have HJT fix the following.

O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*

O11 - Options group: [JAVA_IBM] Java (IBM)

O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\ <This is the last of the Symantec/Norton entries.

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT and reboot your computer.

Other than the above, your HJT log is clean.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back