please help me make a network for lan parties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraith

my friend and i have decided that a nice juicy lan party would be awsome but neither of us knows anything about making a network. i have a router that gives internet access to most of my house but i need to know what else i need to set up a network for lan parties, and how to set it up. help would be greatly appreciated.

Tribal-Phoenix said:
ahhh those noobs , ....

:haha: kill the noobs :evil: j/k

if you don't know how to do what Tribal-Phoenix said, i suggest looking at LanParty or Toms Networking.
at both those sites you can probably find information on setting up a lan. I suggest toms Networking over lanparty, :approve: but it may be a bit more technical, so watever...

how nice of you phoenix, to tell me something so amazingly unhelpful. do you really think i'm running 2 computers on one cable connection without having them hooked up to the router?? you told me nothing that i haven't already done a long time ago. when you call someone a noob, you should make sure you don't make a fool of yourself in the process...nice going useless...my router doesn't act as a hub, in case you didn't gather that from the fact that i'm calling you an ***** for saying that.

Wraith said:
how nice of you phoenix, to tell me something so amazingly unhelpful. do you really think i'm running 2 computers on one cable connection without having them hooked up to the router?? you told me nothing that i haven't already done a long time ago. when you call someone a noob, you should make sure you don't make a fool of yourself in the process...nice going useless...my router doesn't act as a hub, in case you didn't gather that from the fact that i'm calling you an ***** for saying that.

:haha: did you look at those sites i gave you?

i haven't had time to fully browse yet but thanks for em...they look like they sould be what i need.

Just get everyone who's coming to pitch in some money, buy a really big router, and connect all the PCs to the router with Ethernet cables.

vhunter said:
Just get everyone who's coming to pitch in some money, buy a really big router, and connect all the PCs to the router with Ethernet cables.

you don't need to spend lots of money to have a lan, (unless you really want to). Toms Networking has this article on how to host a lan here

then there is an article on LanParty here

I would read toms networking first. Basically all you need are some network cables, some network hubs, some power cables and your set. if you really want it to be fancy, get a switch, that will direct data to each computer which will increase your lan speed. have fun...:D

yeah my plan was to get a switch but i was curious about one thing, can you plug your cable hook up into the switch and have it give internet to all the computers running through it?

Wraith said:
yeah my plan was to get a switch but i was curious about one thing, can you plug your cable hook up into the switch and have it give internet to all the computers running through it?

I dono what type of adapter/jack/plug thing your cable has but if it is just a normal RJ45 ethernet cable plug, I dont see why it wouldn't work... anyone know? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back