Please help me with networking!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to networking, am trying to network 2 computers to gether. I ave already got the x-over cable and all the nics are working, under network places ( windows xp) the bride connection and the area connection is shown.
Now what, how do i then access data or the internetin the first pc from the other pc.
please help i ahve been on this for days

It is way too complex, or detailed, to write out for you here.
You can find a number of advisory guides online with a Google search. There are excellent instructions in both Windows XP and Windows Vista.
Also, if you live in a city, there are several excellent magazine-like publications on good magazine racks for $6.95 to $12.00. Www.about.com has (or had) a very good and free installation guide on their site.
Or you can get a good new or used copy of Networking for Dummies from Amazon.com and other places. That publication is very helpful.
I have just reviewed all the instructions for networking two computers on Windows XP. Those instructions are all you really need.
As aways, it is always easy once you figger it out. Until you figger it out, it is incomprehensible.
Good luck. Let us know how it all turned out.

you describe a setup like this
modem ---systemA ----systemB

first, get systemA correct -- see this this post

to get access for systemB, you need to activate ICS on systemA, which
will require it to have TWO NIC cards, one to the modem and the other to systemB.
Now if you have to purchase another NIC card, DON'T -- get a router instead
and then you will have something like
modem ---router ----systemA
.................+-------systemB
and you will be MUCH happier and find the setup easier to manage.

ONCE all system have internet acces, you then configure File/Print sharing
(search this site for that topic).

thax so much , you 've made it alot more clearer than anything have rad so far in books an d on the net. and furtunatly i actually have 2 nics and A.am claer about connection A to B, but how to you do from A to Modem- should does choice "that the computer conncts to the inetrnet directly" on the ICS represent the A-modem connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back