Please help - PC keeps rebooting itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
My PC keeps rebooting itself about once a week with the following 1001 System Error message:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000fe (0x00000005, 0x863af0e0, 0x10330035, 0x86471680). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini102605-01.dmp.

This was happening before and then stopped for months and now is back and more frequent. Can someone help me please?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

All your minidumps crash at usbohci.sys. This is the Windows OHCI USB Miniport Driver.

There can be several causes of this problem, including hardware failure.

It can also happen when you use the safely remove hardware wizard.

Can you tell me what exactly the computer is doing when it crashes?

Are you using a usb cable modem?

You said that the problem went away for a time, but now has come back, but even more frequent.

Have you installed ,or uninstalled any hardware/software lately?

This could prove to be very difficult to diagnose.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

More info

My system is idle when the reboot occurs. It usually happens during the day while I'm at work, so I don't know if anything is going on.

I do not have a USB cable modem. I do have a USB printer, USB mouse, and a USB connection to a APC UPS.

I did just install a new processor and had to pull the motherboard out to do it, so I had to remove all of my PCI and video cards. I put them all back into the same slots and XP didn't complain when I rebooted.

The strange thing is that this seems to happen every 6 days. The times are different, but it seems more than a coincidence that every 6 days it reboots itself.

Would it help to wipe the hard drive and reinstall the OS?

It wouldn`t hurt to reformat the drive, and reinstall everything. At least it would remove the possibility of a virus etc.

The fact that it`s happening every six days is strange.

Do you have any tasks scheduled on a six day cycle?

Does any of your software automatically run an update every six days?

Try disconnecting anything not required to run your computer, and test the system.

Also try connecting your usb devices to different usb ports.

Are you saying that since you had the mobo out the situation has got worse? If so then it`s got to be hardware related.

Is your Windows OS fully updated? If not try running Windows updates.

I must admit, that this has got me baffled at the moment.

If I can think of anything else, I`ll get back to you.

Regards Howard :confused:

Try updating your chipset drivers from your mobo manufacturers website.

If that doesn`t help, then maybe doing a bios update may help.

Regards Howard :) :)

Bios

I already updated the BIOS to deal with the new CPU. I haven't updated the system device drivers though. Do you think it might have something to do with one of the PCI cards?

I know my USB 2.0 PCI card doesn't always work the way it should. I don't know if this is because I'm using the XP drivers it found or if I should use the drivers that came with the card.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Have you tried running your system without the pci usb card in?

If not give it a try, and see if you still get the bsod`s

As for updating your chipset drivers. I think that would be a good idea.

Regards Howard :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back