Please Help, PC Won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, i'm fairly new but I've have been refered so I came to ask for your assistance.

I have a HP desktop that is about 6 or 7 years old, I've been having random shut offs in where the PC will turn off, as if there was no power running through it. So i think that might be the power supply, but then it wouldn't turn on at all?

Well, not I've confronted a new problem, as i get home after leaving my pc off throughout the whole night, I go to connect it and see that the PC will turn on, but the LCD, and Keyboard don't. As for the mouse, it turns on, but flashes.

I definitely have no clue what's going on and if you guys could help me that would be great since i need my computer.

Edit: I just noticed that the backlight indicating that power is going through it shows blinks, and then turns on and turns off for a while.

Thank you in advance.

PC Info:
2.8 Ghz
512 Mb Ram
Power supply 148-163W

Power Supply Problem

It does indeed sound like the power supply. Before discarding the computer, replace the power cord ($3) and plug it into a different outlet to make sure. (A freebee; the power cord from your monitor may fit. Trade the two and try it.) Have fun.

As far as the power supply go... What specifications do I need to follow, my power supply is a 200W, do I Need the same amount of Watts?
The input also, same?

I had an HP desktop that took a **** after like 15 months. THe motherboard somehow got fried....sorry I know that is absolutely no help to you....

It was weird though...my cable internet provider was doing something at the pole outside my house, because my service was not working right. After that, the computer never turned on again, but I could never prove they'd done anything. I ended up having to buy a new computer! They must have caused some sort of power surge is what i think. My power strip now is like Fort Knox!

Weav, might of misunderstood my problem, the computer turns on, but apparently the power supply is not able to provide power for both the keyboard, and mouse, and as well as the video card due to the fact that it is not sending a signal. I reconnected all my cables coming out of the power surge to make sure that isn't because they might of been loose (which is rare since i hard mess with the mobo) so i tried to turn it on and it sent the signal, without the keyboard and mouse connected. Tried it again with the mouse and keyboard and none of them turned on.

My neice had an e-machines computer that had similiar problems. I replaced the power supply for her, and it still didn't function. It undoubtedly was the motherboard. If you can do it yourself and find a cheap power supply, you might do it, but judgeing from the age of the computer, it is likely fried. There is a power supply available at www.microcenter.com I received in an email for $9.99. It's 500 watt, so it would likely work, but I have not replaced that many to be an expert on such matters. If you give me your email address, I will forward you the email. Or you might search the website I mentioned. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back