Please help - Printer Error Message - Windows 98

By AngelMel
Jan 7, 2005
  1. I have received a brand new printer - Dell 1700n - installed yesterday. I keep receiving the error message: "There was an error writing to LPT1: for the printer. The printer is not ready. Make sure it is turned on and online."

This is the same error message I received from the last printer, which was replaced yesterday. Dell thought a brand new printer would fix the problem.

I have tried everything: install, uninstall, reinstall, power off, shut down, change ports, checked USB cables - NOTHING IS WORKING.

Dell is telling me I might need a new motherboard for my computer?

Thank you!
  2. roey_lennon

roey_lennon TS Rookie

WIN 98 Printer Problem

Have you thought about upgrading your OS to Windows XP? I shouldn't imagine that you need a new motherboard as this will be your last action to take if all else fails(Dell's moneymaking scheme). Have you also tried formatting your harddrive and putting a clean copy of win 98 on? Have you tried downloading the latest drivers for your motherboard and printer etc? Have you tried changing USB cables ? Hope i've given you an idea.

3. AngelMel

AngelMel TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you, Mark. All helpful - I will try your suggestions. The only other issue that makes me believe it is not my computer is that two computers share the printer - although it is not a netork printer. Access is shared using the USB cables.

However, both systems operate on Windows 98, so, maybe we both need to upgrade!

Thanks again.
  4. roey_lennon

roey_lennon TS Rookie

Printer Prob

Hi Melissa,

Glad I Could help you if you need anymore help you can send me a message on msn messenger at

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.