please help. ram keeps going bad

By larry38815
Feb 4, 2007
  1. i have a gigabyte motherboard with hyperthreading model ga-8ipe1000. 4 slots for ddr. i originally had all 4 slots used with 256 mb in each. ran fine for about 2 years then 1 stick went bad with this error "cpuid:eek:f29 patch id:0017" i took out the bad ram and worked fine for another 6 or 7 months then another stick went bad and same error. took out bad ram and now about a year later today same error and another stick bad. i am down to 1 stick of 256 mb of ram. is this a bad mother board? what can i do to stop from frying my ram? thanks for any help
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

probably a bad PSU. Also do not Overlclock ram and ensure you have adequate cooling.

It is much better to run with 2 slots with greater capacity. Instead of 4 slots of 256, use two slots of 512. Your PSU is probably a cheap one and being strained.
  3. foozy

foozy TS Rookie Posts: 139

The RAM may also simply be reaching the end of its lifespan, most brands are guaranteed for life but they still fail.

It might have just been a cheap brand, seems like you've had it for what, nearly four years now?

If not that i'd also simply suspect the power supply.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.