Please Help, Run + Seach disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanie00

Hi there,

I have attached my hijackthis log and wondering if someone would be kind enough to have a look.

On my pc.
The Search and Run funtions are missing, ctl alt del does not work.

I get the following message when I right click start and then properties:

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrater.

I am logged in as administrater - I have no other user accounts.

I have run adaware etc but no luck.

I would be so greatful for any help.

Many thanks

Shane

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Was that HJT log posted from safe mode? If so, please post a fresh HJT from normal mode.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of shanie00 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

it was done in normal mode, Please note though that before this prob came about today, about 3 days ago I disabled loads of startup progs with msconfig but pc has been running fine up until today. I downloaded a file from a bit torrent which i'm positive contained the virus, I ran Bullguard, my anti-vir software and it got rid of a virus, or at least appeared to, its not showing up now but obviously traces must be left that have caused this problem.

Ok, I can`t see anything bad in your HJT log, but as you`ve already said, you`ve disabled items in msconfig. add to that the fact that some malware can hide from the HijackThis.exe filename and we need to do a couple of things.

Run msconfig and click on normal startup, click apply ok and reboot your system. Now post a fresh HJT log as per the instructions in this thread HERE.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of shanie00 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

one problem now is that it won't let me access msconfig. I can't use run - Is their another way to get to it?

Yes, go to the following directory and double click on the msconfig.exe file.

C:\Windows\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\msconfig.exe

Hi,

I have followed all the instructions you have said so far. Enabled everything as normal in msconfig and heres the new log attached.

Thanks for your help so far,

Shane

Your HJT log is clean.

Take a look at this thread HERE and see if it helps with your task manager problem.

For your search and run problems, try this.

Launch Notepad, and copy/paste the text below to a new text file.
Save it on your Desktop as fixme.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"DisableTaskMgr"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system\]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DisableCAD"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoRun"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoFind"=dword:00000000

Locate fixme.reg on your Desktop and double-click on it.

You will receive a prompt similar to: "Do you wish to merge the information into the registry?".
Answer 'Yes' and wait for a message to appear similar to "Merged Successfully".

Reboot your computer and let me know if it helped.

hi there,

thanks for that. I have a little prob with the txt file. I have created a txt file with the information you gave me, saved it as fixme.reg but it is still opening as a txt file?

The extension is definately .reg and i saved to desktop, when i double click it, it opens up notepad.

Thanks for ure help so far,

Shane

Once you`ve copied and pasted the text into notepad, do the following.

Click Edit/save As, when the save window appears, in the save as type: box choose All Files from the drop down list. In the File name box type Fixme.reg and click the save button. Go to my documents, or wherever you saved the file and double click on it. When asked, merge it into the registry.

See if that helps.

Howard,

Thank you for the all the help. I followed everything you said this morning and its all fixed up!!
I can't thank you enough, it's a good job theres people like you here in this world!

Thanks Again,

Shane

That`s great news and thanks for letting me know.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back