Please help, sata with ide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been trying to set up a 40gig wd ide drive as a second hd. I have a p4-3ghz, wd raptor, 2 gig ram ect. primary ide channel has 2 drives (combo, dvd-r/w). everytime i set up the 40 gig on the secondary channel as slave hopeing that i can actually boot into windows and see it, I am able to see the drives and then when it gets past the scanning it just freezes. I unplug the 40 gig and it boots right in... tried everything i can think of in bios settings ( i have the gigabyte 8ipe1000-g). the main reason why i am doing this is bc i have a linux class im taking and dont have a spare computer to setup, i have a lot of saved data as far as apps and games on my raptor i dont want messed up.... if anyone can think of something please help... either reply or a direct e-mail would be cool also, adrenaline0210@mac.com.. thanks

Hi
I have pretty much the same sys as you do. It just does that. Try to run pata and sata drives on the 865/75 mobos and this often happens. I decided that the problem wasn't worth the effort so it stays sata/optical pata only. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but maybe a pci pata card would allow use of pata drives without probs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back