Please Help Screen of Death!!!!!

By mrman0901
Nov 29, 2007
  1. Hello everyone I am new to this forum and I have heard a lot about this forum. My girlfriends company just merged with another company three months ago and sold off just about everthing to there employees. She pick up a dell inspiron 9400 laptop and she needs the system or administrators password to anything. Any info would be greatly appreciated. The service tag # cxk28c1

Thanks for any help
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Do a search on this forum. There are large numbers of useful posts on Dell laptop passwords. Few can be recovered easily or cheaply, but some posters have figgered out how to repair specific models. The process differs from model to model, so something that works on one brand, may not work on another. Also, be sure you have talked to Dell Tech Support, because they have fixes, depending on the model.
    Good luck.
    Sometimes it is just easier to buy the $80 version of Windows XP home, then download all the drivers you need from the Dell site.
  3. mrman0901

mrman0901 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have been all around the forum and I have found nothing on the the 9400 but i am still keeping hope alive. someone has to know something cause dell said the ownership is still with the company that has since gone out of business ( go figure) so I can't change ownership. But thanks alot anyway
  4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

If you know the company that had ownership, you can change ownership yourself, online, using the service tag number... and you can do it on the phone with Dell.
    If you don't know the company, you can usually do it online anyway where they have a section on changing ownership.
    Once you change ownership, you have to wait for 10 days for it to register in the Dell system.
    Also, if you know the company, call them on the site for business versions of Dell, and Deal with it as the now non-existent company... to change ownership.
    If there is any possibility that the computer has been reported stolen, give up now, as they may be tracking this computer.
  5. mrman0901

mrman0901 TS Rookie Topic Starter

They won't be tracking because the business has merged with another company and if by chance they were that would be great because i would not have to wait the ten days to get the laptop up and running. I did the ownership change and waiting for the email confirmation. Thanks for the advice on this issue of mines.
  6. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 1,687

Hello, mrman0901, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
    Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

It's good to meet you and i hope you enjoy it here :)

With regards to your problem, there is a Dell Bios Password removal (Nov-Dec 2007) thread which may help you, however it sounds like you will need to change the ownership first.

Please do not quote the post above yours unless you are highlighting a specific part, otherwise use the "Post Reply" button at the top and bottom of the thread, you choose which one to click ;)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.