TechSpot

Please Help. Sound not working

By Xenomorph
Aug 21, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My sound wasnt working, and I tried everything. To make a long story short. I went out and bough new speakers (Logitech Z-640's) And a new Sound Card (Audigy 2 ZS) I uninstalled all my old drivers, and my old sound card. Shut my system down, unplugged it and turned off the power supply, pulled the old card, and booted back up to make sure everything was still uninstalled....it was, so I powered down again, and plugged in my new Audigy 2 ZS, and plugged my new speakers into it...booted up, it found all the stuff, and installed all the Software for it, I have the recent drivers for my card. Device manager sees that I have a card in there, and says it is working properly, however, my sound is still not working. At all.....I went into the BIOS and set PCI Slot 3's IRQ to 5, since that is the Default IRQ for Sound, but windows still tells me its set to 9. Please help me im desperate, I have $200 of sound equipment and no way to use it.
  2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,309   +265

What OS are you running on? What type of connection from your soundcard are you using? SPDIF? What types of source sound files are you using? Wave/MP3, MIDI, DVD? After your drivers are installed if you look in Device manager does everything appear to be okay?
  3. Xenomorph

Xenomorph TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well I actually resulted in Reloading my system again using a Windows Xp Pro 911 Boot disc, with Service Pack 1 built in, reloading everything back up, drivers, all that jazz, and everything seems to be okay. My sound is working now. I was listening to (Or trying to) MP3, AVI, and MPG...and the Connection to my sound card was an RCA cable running from my sound card to my receiver. I was running on Windows XP Corperate Edition, before that, it was a Beta version of XP Pro. And yes after my drives were installed, everything checked out okay, Device manager found everything, but Sound and Audio Deviced in Control panel did not. It works now, but im still curious as to what could have caused it not to. For Future reference.
  4. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,212

Could've been drivers from your old card conflicting with the new hardware.......just a guess, mind you.
  5. Xenomorph

Well I actually uninstalled all my existing drivers, and all my existing old hardware, downloaded the new drivers again, and installed them with my new hardware. Kind of puzzling, no?
  6. MYOB

MYOB TS Rookie Posts: 527

At what level is it "not working". Does it appear in Device Manager? If so, are the latest Creative device drivers correctly loaded for it? If so, are all the sliders in the Volume control set at a reasonable level and are the mute checkboxs unchecked?
  7. MYOB

MYOB TS Rookie Posts: 527

Oh, because I haven't used Windows XP in ages, if you could attach screenshots of the device manager, etc. it'd be a help to find out whats wrong. If you can't, e.g. on a modem, it doesn't matter.
  8. Xenomorph

It did show up in Device Manager, all the drivers were correctly loaded, the volume was at a resonable level, and all the mutes were unchecked....I think what was happening, was the RCA I was using to hook my old 8 Track Recorder Receiver to my Sound Blaster MP3+ 5.1 was shorted my sound card out...it just took a while for it to happen. It worked one night, and the next morning it didnt. As I mentioned above, I have all new speakers, and the Audigy 2 ZS and all is well now. But I think I was shorting out my old sound card.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.