Please Help To Identify & Change A Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never messed with graphics cards before and don't have a clue, please can someone give me a hand...

My brother tells me that his computer is no longer giving a graphics output, totally blank screen, and that when it boots it gives 1 long and 3 short beeps.

It has an AWARD BIOS and the POST beep code apparently means that there is a problem with the graphics card. Since I know nothing about graphics cards I did a bit of research to find out about the subject before I opened it up. I read up about AGP and PCI cards etc... The computer is quite old so I expect a PCI card.

I open it up and it is a PCI card, so I give it a blow and a wiggle, still no display, just beeps. However, I noticed that the motherboard (an M6TAB, if that means anything) does have an AGP slot with something in it. I get confused. :suspiciou

Can anyone tell me what this card in the AGP slot is and what it does?
Is it another graphics card?
Am I correct in assuming the graphics card is broken?

The little sticker with a picture of a monitor says to plug the monitor into the PCI card, but the AGP card has the same port (expect it doesn't have an input). I'd never noticed the port before and didn't ever try the monitor in it.

As a separate question, why do both cards have 20 pin ports on them?

One card might be a 3D Voodoo Banshee, I think???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back