Please Help to remove "Storage Protector" spyware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Experts,
Please help me remove the "Storage Protector" virus / spyware from my PC.
I used SuperAntiSpyware, but it is still there.
I used VundoFox, but it is still there.
My PC has: Windows XP SP2 with ALL updates installed.
Attached is the "Hijack This" log.
Thank you very much in advance.

does anyone actually have a solution?

I have been trying to remove storage protector from my pc for 2 days now, and its virtually impossible, those bastards are good. every solution offered is for some crappy "free" download that tells you there are a million parasites then asks you to pay in order to clean up (i.e adware alert, pc doctor and countless other useless ones) Also trying to manually remove the registry entries wont show the storage protector ones on the list, so not an option either. Does Anyone Know How To Actually Remove This Abomination?? Please help

Try Spybot S&D, the newest version (1.5.2), it worked for me. If it doesn't, try AVG first (this found around 2491 infections on my computer and deleted them - but it didn't find the Storage Protector one) - the free version - then run Spoybot S&D. If Spybot S&D stops in the middle of fixing the problems, you have to turn your computer off, then run the scan again when you switch it back on. This got rid of my virus, as the 1.5.2 version was released on January 29th and so is very recent. You can then delete all of those annoying 'pos(something)' files from your user areas. There will also be a lot on your C: drive, so check there. Then empty your recycling bin without opening, as it will take ages to display everything. There will be hundreds, possibly thousands of these files, depending on how long you have had the virus. I had around 15,500 of these on my computer, and deleting them has given me a lot of space. You can also delete the shortcuts on your desktop (the 'Windows Update' and 'Help and Support' - I think that's what they are called), and remove them from your Recyling Bin as well.

Good luck, and I hope this works for you!

horanzu

horanzu, you are the man!! if you were a woman and I knew you, I'd kiss you. i had to run them a few times spybot, avg anti spyware, and avg anti virus but it worked. I dont know how they can do what they do, i mean they are good but thats like telling someone they are good at rape, no matter how they look at it, they're still wrong. Anyhoo, on "my computer" the C: drive's icon is a crossed out red X, does this mean there are still traces of storage protector scum left? did this happen to you too? does it matter? does anyone else know?

Horanzu said:
Try Spybot S&D, the newest version (1.5.2), it worked for me. If it doesn't, try AVG first (this found around 2491 infections on my computer and deleted them - but it didn't find the Storage Protector one) - the free version - then run Spoybot S&D. If Spybot S&D stops in the middle of fixing the problems, you have to turn your computer off, then run the scan again when you switch it back on. This got rid of my virus, as the 1.5.2 version was released on January 29th and so is very recent. You can then delete all of those annoying 'pos(something)' files from your user areas. There will also be a lot on your C: drive, so check there. Then empty your recycling bin without opening, as it will take ages to display everything. There will be hundreds, possibly thousands of these files, depending on how long you have had the virus. I had around 15,500 of these on my computer, and deleting them has given me a lot of space. You can also delete the shortcuts on your desktop (the 'Windows Update' and 'Help and Support' - I think that's what they are called), and remove them from your Recyling Bin as well.

Good luck, and I hope this works for you!

Yea, my C: drive still has a red cross on it, but I have no idea what it means or if there are any traces of the virus left. I'm hoping not. It doesn't appear to have damaged my computer yet, so I'm just leaving it for now. If I find something about it, I'll post on this thread. I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but I'd put my money on it. Quite a few people seem to have this virus...

And by the way, I am a girl, Horanzu is just a wierd nickname. LOL. And I'm only 14, but hey! (Do I sound older?????)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back