Please Help Windows Boot Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilYahiko

Okay, so I'm a total newbie at the build a computer thing, unfortunately that's how I was set up when my bro bought two new rigs for himself and I from the company MSI after reading about their good quality stuff in PC World. Anyhow, we got the new computer towers, and I went to go import my old Hard Drive into the new one. Sufficient to say, this was about 3 weeks ago (that after the fact that my ***** bro didn't order graphics cards with my new comp and we had a whole big todo about that, but that's not the point).

We've tried plugging my newer Hitachi 160GB HD into the new computer with my operating system and all my old information still on it, but it always goes to the windows boot up screen and asks me if I want to boot up with the many versions of safe mode, my old configurations that last worked, or normally. I've tried all of this and it doesn't want to work.

Yet another mystery is that we tried hooking up an older 40gb hd with Windows ME installed on it, and it worked perfectly. That is to say, it went through the whole "installing new hardware" automatically and that operating system works fine! (My only other problem now is that my CD Drive isn't working right). It's like an endless sea of problems, but my main concern is my newer 160gb HD with the Windows XP OS on it. I want to still use it but it's not booting up right like the older 40gb with the ME on it did. What's wrong with my newer HD?

Note: When I had the Newer 160HD in the new computer, I'd gone into the user profile of the boot-up sequence and it said that I didn't have enough disks to make install a sufficient raid, or something like that. Hope that helps some o-o;.

XP that was installed on one pc WILL NOT WORK on another pc unless both pc's have identical mobo's!!!!

Okay, that would definately be the problem as this is a totally new mobo. Okay but here inlies the problem: how am I going to wipe the HD and start all over again? I can't hook the 160 HD with the XP on it back into my old rig cause the graphics connector (it's hooked directly into the motherboard) has screwed up and I can't use a monitor with the older pc nemore. Is there a way I can reformat this hard drive by using this new computer?

Boot it from your windows XP cd and it will format it for you if you ask it to!!!!

Okay my bro tried that, but it always came across a point where it is finished loading up and it goes to this blue screen that says "Windows has come across an error: 0x0000007B(0xF9E7D524,0x0000034,0x0000000,0x0000000).

It says something else but that's the gist of it.

We've tried rebooting it that way like 5 times and it always comes up like that, are we doing something wrong?

The blue screen should have instruction on how to disable bios shadowing and a couple of other things to try, you need to try them!!!!

rik said:
The blue screen should have instruction on how to disable bios shadowing and a couple of other things to try, you need to try them!!!!

Okay it gave us the chkdsk but it never boots up to where we can do the checkdisk. Also another note, my bro is saying the bios isn't reading my 160 as a Raid, but it did for the 40 with the ME installed on it. Is this a sympton of hard drive failure for the 160 hd?

Okay, and also, my bro just got the bios to read the HD, but now our problem is the CD-ROM drive again, I doubt both CD ROMS (the old and other older one that I was using) could have konked out right now.

Newho, it seems this computer is set automatically to RAID setup, is there a way we can disable this feature for now and somehow bypass it?

Also, again, could this be symptoms of Hard Drive failure. We think one of our younger bro's touched the HD when it was on the desk down here in the basement or knocked it over or something. Could the HD be giving us this much trouble because it's busted?

I need to know more about your setup!!!!

I need to know what type of hard drive(s) you are using???? I.e. Are they sata or ata???

I also need to know how you have plugged them up and how any jumpers are set???? I.e. What data cable each one is on and in what position on the cable (ata only) and what is set to master and what is set to slave via jumpers, including any cdrom drives!!!!

K, o-o;; (am I ticking you off or something, or do you just like using certain punctuations for each sentence)?

Newho, I'm using a Hitachi Parrallel ATA and SErial ATA interface 160GB HD, plugged into the Master Port.

CD-ROM Drive is just your run-of the mill CD drive plugged into the slave 1.

Sorry if my previous post sounded harsh!!!! I didn't mean it to!! I always set my posts out like this!!!!:)

I just needed precise setup details in order to help further!!!!:)

In order for windows to recognise your sata 160 you need to press F6 for "third party scsi or raid driver" during the start of the windows install then put in either the floppy or cd that should have come with your mobo to install your sata driver!!!!

I apologise if you have already tried that but it is a common problem that we see alot here on TS!!!!

Let me know if that helps or not!!!!

I'm not sure I understand this part...

LilYahiko said:
...Newho, I'm using a Hitachi Parrallel ATA and SErial ATA interface 160GB HD, plugged into the Master Port.

CD-ROM Drive is just your run-of the mill CD drive plugged into the slave 1.

and it could be me...

Is the HD SATA or PATA?

My inital thought for the CDROM was if both devices (HD and CDROM) are setup as master (though jumpers on the device); but that would not be an issue if they were not sharing the same cable/connection.

SO, is the Hd hooked to the MB with a wide ribbon cable or a skinny thin cable (typically red with black ends).

I think it is a Serial ATA, (sorry, I'm kinda new at this, the help that I usually get for this sort of thing is in the hospital right now and he's unavailable for conversation).

Newho, how would I found this out? Also, I'm only trying to set up this HD as a single not a RAID type system.

Is the connector on the HD that the cable connects to Wide (2-2.5") or skinny (.5-.75") and does it connect to a connector on the motherboard like the cable for the CDROM?

And is the HD connected to the same cable as the CDROM?

Okay now my bro F***ed up my computer. It won't go to anything now and it when we load it up it says "Scanning devices" and just sits there and does nothing. Is there a certain pin selection that we can pull and replug into reset the entier thing? And is there a some pin settings that we can use to wipe my current HD?

Do you have any idea what he did (or changed) to screw up the computer? It may be easier to undo what he did that to start over...

Okay we fixed it, we just had to reset some of the cables and what not. For now I think I've narrowed it down to the CD-ROM drive. Each time I try to reformat using my Hard Drives Hitachi Manufacturing CD it brings up an error in the DOS saying:

**Error: No CD-ROM drive found, please check power or cable!!
**Error: IDE CD-ROM Device not installed!!

It is an older CD-ROM drive but it's not totally ancient. (Well... okay it isn't the latest and greatest, it's what I used with my last PC). Is there anything I could try that wouldn't involve me having to buy a new CD-ROM?

CD ROM MODEL: CRD-8402B (E21) Compaq

Manufactured: September 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back