Please Help Windows XP Won't Boot

By zipzap120
Jan 1, 2008
  1. My Windows XP Will not Boot :confused: This Started this past Friday and it hasnt gone away. My computer frooze up after crashing during Pirates of the Burning Sea and i choose to turn it off and on. Since then my computer will not even get to the Windows XP StartUp Screen. This same issue happend to me also about two weeks ago but i was abe to fix it by doing a CHKDSK in Windows Recovery. This time around ive tried everythig with no luck. CHKDSK /P aswell as /R . BOOTCFG. as well as a few other things in Windows Recovery and nothing will work. At this point ive given up i really have no idea. Can someone please help me? I really have no idea and im hoping someone here with some more knowledge can help me? Thanks in advance
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Hi zipzap120 and welcome to TechSpot

As you have tried everything, you may need to do a Windows Repair on your system

Also have you tried System Restore from the command prompt, this can be done without actually loading Windows, by typing:
  3. zipzap120

zipzap120 TS Rookie Topic Starter

hey thanks for the welcome and i appreciate the help :D unfortunately i dont have windows professional so i cant do a repair i dont think or can i? but im not sure? where would i open the command prompt from if i cant boot windows? possibly in windows repair mode?
  4. kimsland

You can try Windows Safe mode Command prompt only

You say you do not have Windows Xp Pro CD (as my post was Pro repair post)
    Do you actually have a Windows CD ?
    Please try the above - Safe mode Option
  5. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

Welcome zipzap120

Here some links i've collected and use myself as handy reference material for info on Recovery Console, Troubleshooting Boot Problems, Troubleshooting Windows XP Startup Problems and more. "XP Startup and more" is above and eyond your current issue but only a matter of time till you need that info as well.

If you should still need help after going through these, post back in this thread.
  6. zipzap120

well im using windows xp home editon sp2 so yeah I reviewed all those links to no avail gr. I can't even start windows in safe mode or anything so I'm lost on what your saying kim sorry. This really came out of nowhere I do have my windows so home version disk though
  7. kimsland

Here is the Home Repair link
  8. zipzap120

would this erase all the data i currently have on my computer though if not then thank you soo much!!!! i know i will have to reinstall all the windows updates but will i still have all my files as well as software?
  9. kimsland

No it will not erase any data or programs

Yes (you are right) it will remove all windows updates

There is one issue, if you have virus on your system - it is possible that a Repair can stop (that would be bad) But this is unlikely (about stopping)
  10. zipzap120

ok im gonna give it a shot now ill let you know how it goes thank you
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.