TechSpot

Please help with sharing internet connection

By me?
Mar 22, 2007
  1. Hi,

I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router which is wired to a pc downstairs, and wirelessly connected to 3 laptops and a pc upstairs. However, my laptop in my room has great signal, while my PC next to it has very low signal which only lasts for a few minutes at a time. I have tried USB recievers and a pci card but it is still poor.

Therefore I would like to share the internet connection from my laptop to my PC. I have a CAT 5e cable connected between them but am at a loss where to go from here. All the tutorials I have seen online assume that one of them will be wired to the router, whereas here I need it to be wireless to the laptop and then wired to the PC.

I was fiddling with this earlier and the wired connection shows up on my laptop but not my PC in 'Network Connections' and by messing with connection settings on this I think I managed to share it. However, my laptop then refused to connect to the Internet and I got popups saying there was an IP conflict on the system.

Please could anyone help me sort this out with simple intstructions as I'm not too brilliant at networking :eek:

Thanks in advance
    James

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,449   +324

never set an IP address manually, use the DHCP feature and the router will
    set it correctly for you.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.