Please help with sharing internet connection

By me?
Mar 22, 2007
  1. Hi,

I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router which is wired to a pc downstairs, and wirelessly connected to 3 laptops and a pc upstairs. However, my laptop in my room has great signal, while my PC next to it has very low signal which only lasts for a few minutes at a time. I have tried USB recievers and a pci card but it is still poor.

Therefore I would like to share the internet connection from my laptop to my PC. I have a CAT 5e cable connected between them but am at a loss where to go from here. All the tutorials I have seen online assume that one of them will be wired to the router, whereas here I need it to be wireless to the laptop and then wired to the PC.

I was fiddling with this earlier and the wired connection shows up on my laptop but not my PC in 'Network Connections' and by messing with connection settings on this I think I managed to share it. However, my laptop then refused to connect to the Internet and I got popups saying there was an IP conflict on the system.

Please could anyone help me sort this out with simple intstructions as I'm not too brilliant at networking :eek:

Thanks in advance
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,144   +597

never set an IP address manually, use the DHCP feature and the router will
    set it correctly for you.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.