Please help with slow loading programs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlou

Hi
I just bought this computer, it is a P4 512ram, 2.8ghz, running XP Pro. I just formatted with XP Pro and am having a problem.

When I reboot or boot up, it'll take 2-5 minutes to load Norton, the "Connect to my ISP" and a driver for my Wacom tablet. After it loads up and I try clicking any of those things nothing will happen. Then after a few minutes it all catches up and all the windows pop open.

I also tried without Norton on the system and it still did it. And there are no programs running in the background, in the startup folder either.

Is there some sort of configuration I can do to make it run smooth ? Can it be my motherboard or a problem with how it was built? I bought it custom built with a real cool RAIDMAX case w/blue lighting :eek:

So I would really appreciate any help out there.
thanks alot!
~Mlou

Go to Start>Run, Type services.msc you'll see a list of services

The link below has a nice explanation of how to use this and what you can safely disable.
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

There is also an excellent tweaking guide for XP here at TS, you might want to look at that.

If you find something listed on your system that you can't find, just "google" it, if you still can't find out what you need to know, post back here, I'm sure someone can tell you what you need.

Try clearing your Windows\Prefetch folder and then restarting. Windows should then prefetch everything that usually loads on startup, enabling a small performance boost.

After a virus program that didn't load right crashed my computer so that it wouldn't work at all. I reloaded windows when I got though or at lest thought I was though my programs loaded slowly and sometimes it looked like a wave as the screen was up dated. I went to Hardware manger and check and my video adpator was not loaded.

After going to ATI and downloading the newest Catalst 3.8 and installing it everything loaded much faster.

I'm not saying that your video drivers aren't loaded I'm saying to check all your drivers in hardware manger.

Do you have any memory management programs running in the back ground these will sometimes really slow a computer down.

Get rid of Norton, it's pervasive & task over everything. There are much better & more friendly virus checking programs that it. That's my tip.

Originally posted by WarioGF
Get rid of Norton, it's pervasive & task over everything. There are much better & more friendly virus checking programs that it. That's my tip.

Im afraid i have to disagree there. In my experience Norton does'nt use much resouces, and i've noticed no slowdown whatsoever...

I have used Norton Systemworks sense the NSW 2000 came out and will contune to use it.

I have learned not to use System Doctor and infact do not even install it. Even PCWorld recommends NSW and it's Antivirus programs but also says don't use System Doctor.

System Doctor is a resesource hog and when it's repairing errors can cause other problem.

The other utilities all work very well and or not on inless your using them.

I agree guys, I've used Norton for years, and while there were a couple of versions during the 95 era that did hog resources horribly, they have improved quite a bit. Actually the last few versions of NAV and NU don't show much if any difference on my machines. I also saw no slowdowns when I added NPF.

Norton products are good and their virus scanner is the best I've used, but I wouldn't touch System Doctor with a 100' pole. The benfits of Windoctor is debatable as well, but does seem to fix some problems.

You may lots of adware or "spyware" loading with your system. I've seen many spywares cause simliar problems as what you are experiencing.

To scan and remove spyware, I recommend www.ad-aware.com.

Update it first, then scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back