TechSpot

Please help

By t616
Jul 15, 2005
  1. Hello.
    Please help, my computer is acting very odd.

I don't have a huge understanding of computers at all, and this is way over my head.
    I've read some similar threads discussing the problem i'm having. I've tried some of the solutions but i'm getting no where.

My computer keeps restarting. There seems to be no pattern to when or why it does this. Windows error reporting says it may have been caused by a device driver. But can't tell me which one.

One time it did tell me it may have been the graphics driver. But hey, this is still no help to me, as i don't understand.

I follwed some of the instructions to get to the B.S.O.D and was given this message.

Stop: 0x0000008E (0X0000005, 0X00000000, 0XFA2D7F0C, 0X00000000)
    It also mentioned checking the Video adapters?

Another time it gave this message.

Stop: 0x00000024 (0x001902fe, 0xfa30f910, 0xfa30f60c, 0x80571ed9)
    This time it mentioned checking the drive configuration?

Like i said, i don't have a huge understanding of PC's, but i am trying to learn (slowly).

I'm running a S3 Graphics Pro Savage DDR. A friend has said the driver for this maybe the problem, i've tried updating it but my computer still restarts.

Please help.......

If anyone thinks they can help, or if you need more onfo to help me, please tell me how to get the info, and i'll pass on the info a.s.a.p.

Any help or advice you could give would be amazing.

Thanks.

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Because you`re getting differing bsod`s, I suggest that your first priority, should be to test your ram.

First take out your ram stick/s and clean the contacts with an eraser. Blow off any remnants and replace. Now download and run the Memtest86+ programme from www.memtest.org.

Let it run for at least seven passes, if you don`t have a floppy drive, there is an iso version that you can burn to cd, and then boot from that.

Let us know the results.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. t616

t616 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I got as far as opening up the tower, only to find it thick with dust!

Cleaned as best i could, and tried running again. This time the error message was more specific.

Blagged my way through, and it seems to have been a device driver (graphics).

Have updated the driver and computer hasn't crashed in two whole days, :)

Can pretty much trace it back to when windows did it's last automatic update, i've since turned it off. I think it my have changed something driver like?

Anyway

Thanks for your help, at the very least it made me clean my poor computer.
    And has made see i really do need to know more about computers, or at least a little more. After all, you wouldn'r buy a car and not be able to change the tire, right?

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Yes I agree.

Anyway I`m glad you got the problem fixed.

Regards Howard :) :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.