Please Rate my PC Build

Hi - I'm building my first computer although I have a lot of history in software and technology. I was wondering if theres anything I should change, or something I can get that is cheaper and still keeps the performance high.

CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor - $188.66
CPU Cooler: Stock with CPU
Motherboard: MSI B250M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard - $80.33
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory - $104.76
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive - $66.99
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW DT GAMING Video Card - $456.85
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - $72.98
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case - $59.89
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit - $86.88

I'm also buying an LED RGB Strip for like $20.

I've checked that everything is compatible, and the total comes to around $1137

I also know that SSD is faster, but I don't think it's worth the extra money.

Any suggestions?

CPU: Any Ryzen is much better choice. I'd go for Ryzen 5 1600 https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mV98TW/amd-ryzen-5-1600-32ghz-6-core-processor-yd1600bbaebox
CPU cooler: Ryzen stock cooler is OK
Motherboard: Any AM4 motherboard, lots of choices there
RAM: Pick at least DDR4-2400, or faster.
HDD: Seagate is OK
SSD: SSD is definitely worth it. Keep HDD still. Depending on budget, you may go for M.2 drive or SATA. One possible choice https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rx...b-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-asx8000np-256gm-c
GPU: Video card is easy to swap and prices are high, so I would take something cheaper. What monitor?
PSU: Not too expensive for 80+ gold one
Case: If you like it, then go for it
Operating system: Retail is worth it https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wskwrH/microsoft-os-kw900016

SSD: SSD is definitely worth it. Keep HDD still. Depending on budget, you may go for M.2 drive or SATA. One possible choice https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rxPzK8/adata-xpg-sx8000-256gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-asx8000np-256gm-
In the US, I usually can beat that Adata SSD price with a Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB.

I absolutely wouldn't bother wita Msata at all. Just a standard 2 1/2" SATA III unit. Msata kills 2 ports, and that Samsug will come pretty close to to saturating a SATA III buss. They're very quick.

So, on the average 6 SATA III port board, you get the C:/ SSD, a DVD drive, and 4 free ports for storage. Since 'm superstitious, I won't use a drive bigger than 3TB. The Seagate "Barracudas" are 7400 RPM up to 3 TB, but the 4 TB unit is only 5900 RPM. Plus, the 2TBs & 3 TBs are dirt cheap when you catch one of Newegg's best sales.

Last edited:
A-Data is much faster than 850 Evo.
Since we're splitting hairs, the Adata drives have double the 1 star ratings as the Samsung, which, (without reading about 700 reviews), pretty much translates to double the DOA. (Yes, I know customers are stupid, and only the incompetent write 1 star reviews).

On paper, the Adata is faster. But, since they're shipping with 3D NAND, it's likely they're equipped with Samsung memory anyway.

To the upside, the Adata is on sale at Newegg for $99.95 til Thursday 11:59 PDT

Since I don't have a location on the OP, or a timetable on the purchases, I can't know if that helps.
...[ ]....I also know that SSD is faster, but I don't think it's worth the extra money.Any suggestions?
Well, I'll tell you a funny story. I just built an i5-6600K / Z170 based system. My plan was to load all the programs and OS onto a 250 WD SATA II<! drive I had laying around, then transfer the image to SSD, and keep the HDD as a system image backup.

Well, that strategy worked, with one exception. The computer was almost unusable with the HDD. Every program I tried to launch, resulted in the App hanging, complete with the infamous "this program is not responding" warning. I thought the Win 7 install was screwed up. Not so. As soon as I transferred the install to SSD, the machine is a fast as lightning.

So, the moral of the story is, today's CPU / board combos, are almost too fast to be served by the old fashioned HDD, which can't serve up data fast enough to allow them to run at optimum speed.

Since we're splitting hairs, the Adata drives have double the 1 star ratings as the Samsung, which, (without reading about 700 reviews), pretty much translates to double the DOA. (Yes, I know customers are stupid, and only the incompetent write 1 star reviews).

On paper, the Adata is faster. But, since they're shipping with 3D NAND, it's likely they're equipped with Samsung memory anyway.

To the upside, the Adata is on sale at Newegg for $99.95 til Thursday 11:59 PDT.

I remember well when Samsung fans upvoted 840 and 840 Evo drives, both were crap as real professionals (like me) told right away (TLC drive for same price as MLC drive = avoid TLC).

I cannot see any 1 star reviews on Newegg. Generally you're right about scustomer reviews.

Adata is much faster in practice as it's M.2 and there are no SATA drives that can get even close to it. Adata uses Micron/Intel MLC(!) 3D-Nand, not Samsung's TLC crap.

For $99.95 Adata is bargain buy.

Adata is much faster in practice as it's M.2 and there are no SATA drives that can get even close to it. Adata uses Micron/Intel MLC(!) 3D-Nand, not Samsung's TLC crap.For $99.95 Adata is bargain buy.
OK, we're talking about 2 different things. The Adata I have linked is SATA 3 and TLC NAND (Which likely is Samsung ?).

I still don't recommend M sata for everyday non pro use. If you start burning up two SATA ports at a time, you wind up with a need for SAS, perhaps not the ideal for a first (?) build.

I try not to deal in absolutes, but rather a practical approach which doesn't assume an unlimited budget. But, I sort of collect images and video, which does need plenty of storage, preferably inside the desktop.

Last edited:
OK, we're talking about 2 different things. The Adata I have linked is SATA 3 and TLC NAND (Which likely is Samsung ?).

I still don't recommend M sata for everyday non pro use. If you start burning up to SATA ports at a time, you wind up with a need for SAS, perhaps not the ideal for a first (?) build.

I try not to deal in absolutes, but rather a practical approach which doesn't assume an unlimited budget. But, I sort of collect images and video, which does need plenty of storage, preferably inside the desktop.

OK, I didn't notice you linked into any Adata drive.

SATA ports? M.2 does not use any SATA ports.

I agree with storage space but that's HDD territory.

...[ ]...SATA ports? M.2 does not use any SATA ports..
I know that something you connect to my Gigabyte board does use 2 SATA ports, (I thought it was M.2 as well as SATA 6 (or whatever the heck it's called)), but I promise to read my instruction book, (closely this time), to see if I am suffering from any misconceptions...

That's SATA Express, not SATA. To be honest, SATA Express connectors are almost totally useless, as there are very few devices that support it.

That's SATA Express, not SATA. To be honest, SATA Express connectors are almost totally useless, as there are very few devices that support it.
What part of SATA III and SATA Express sharing the same ports (sockets/bandwidth) on the motherboard are you not understanding?

Post from "Aspect" on the link I provided:

For example, my motherboard has an M.2 slot and 10 SATA ports. If I install something in the M.2 slot, it disables two of the SATA ports, so I'm only left with 8 to use. Therefore, I have to choose between having 1 M.2 drive and up to 8 SATA drives, or no M.2 drive and up to 10 SATA drives.

M.2 obviously can't plug into a standard SATA socket, but it does share bandwidth of the SATA controller>

The only way M.2 couldn't use up SATA III bandwidth, is something on the order of two separate SATA controllers on the same board. Something like a SATA RAID controller with 2 M.2 sockets, and a separate SATA III controller, acting as SAS. This assumes configuring two M.2 drives in RAID 0.

Last edited:
That just depends on motherboard if SATA/SATA Express/PCI Express ports are shared. For example this motherboard has 10 SATA ports usable even if you use two M.2 drives http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370 Taichi/

Too bad Aspect didn't say what motherboard he has. Sounds very strange if SATA ports are disabled when using NVME M.2 drive. It just makes no sense unless those SATA ports are made with PCI Express connected SATA chip.

Well, as it so happens, my Z170 Gigabyte board works exactly the same way. And one has to take leave to suppose that pretty much all Z170, And Intel's lesser chipsets, (H110, etc.), work pretty much the same way. I suppose if you spend 3 bills for a top end board it might have an extra SATA controller, who knows. But, since the TS in this case wants to spend maybe a grand or so, and isn't even sure if an SSD is necessary, this M.2 discussion is pretty much superfluous.

This conversation is typical of the main reasons I normally don't bother with the technical side of the forums.

I can "evaluate" and "build" my own systems.

I have indeed learned something from this discourse. Primarily, you may not be always right, but you're never wrong.

You're a "professional".......(wait for it)......... AMD fanbois. The TS, (God bless him or her), came here to have an Intel build evaluated. Immediately, you launch into a buy AMD rant.

BTW, I believe the reason M.2 hogs two SATA III ports is, it has the same theoretical bandwidth as "SATA Express".

Well, as it so happens, my Z170 Gigabyte board works exactly the same way. And one has to take leave to suppose that pretty much all Z170, And Intel's lesser chipsets, (H110, etc.), work pretty much the same way. I suppose if you spend 3 bills for a top end board it might have an extra SATA controller, who knows. But, since the TS in this case wants to spend maybe a grand or so, and isn't even sure if an SSD is necessary, this M.2 discussion is pretty much superfluous.

One SATA Express offers either two SATA ports OR two lanes of PCI Express. There is no direct support for SATA Express connectors on Z170 motherboard, but of course manufacturer can create them. Simply combine two PCI Express and SATA lanes from from chipset into one SATA Express connector. So that behaviour has nothing to do with chipset. That Gigabyte's solution is somewhat stupid, because putting NVME drive non M.2 slot should have no effect on any SATA ports.

You're a "professional".......(wait for it)......... AMD fanbois. The TS, (God bless him or her), came here to have an Intel build evaluated. Immediately, you launch into a buy AMD rant.

BTW, I believe the reason M.2 hogs two SATA III ports is, it has the same theoretical bandwidth as "SATA Express".

AMD Ryzen with current pricing makes all i5 and i7 CPU's obsolete. Only for few very special cases some i5/i7 CPU's are good buy, everyone else should go for Ryzen.

As I already told, SATA Express is combination of SATA and PCI Express. It's either PCI Express or SATA, not both. So basically if M.2 drive uses NVME (PCI Express) and not SATA, it should have no effect on any SATA ports. If it has, then motherboard manufacturer has screwed up something. And SATA Express bandwidth is same as SATA or PCI Express, depending which one is used. Example about doing this right:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html#productSpecification-section

** PCI_E6 slot will be unavailable when installing M.2 PCIe SSD in M2_2 slot. SATA3 port will be unavailable when installing the SATA SSD card in M2_2 slot.

So using SATA M.2 drive disables one SATA connector (no need to disable two) and using NVME M.2 drive disables PCI Express slot (no need to disable any SATA).

Back