Please some body help me.. i'm so confused!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
TOSHIBA

Processor Type Intel Core Duo T2450
Screen Size 15.4 in
RAM (Preloaded / Maximum) 2 x 512MB DDR2 (Exp. To 4GB)
Hard Drive 120GB 5400RPM
Optical Drives Super-Multi Double Layer DVD
Graphics Mobile Intel 945GM with 256MB
Product Weight 2.72 kg
Audio Type Realtek ALC861
Battery Type 6cell Lithium-Ion
Cache 32KB/32KB L1, 2MB L2
Fax/Modem 56K V.92
I/O Ports See The Features Section
Included In Box AC Adaptor, Power Cord, User Manual
Network Card See The Features Section
Other Software See The Features Section
PC Card Slots 1 ExpressCard
Pointing Device Touchpad
Preloaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
Processor Speed 2.0GHz
Product Dimensions 26.78(W) x 3.93(H) x 36.20(D) cm
Removable Storage None
Screen Type WXGA TFT
Speakers Built-In Stereo Speakers
System Bus

COMPAQ

Processor Type Intel Core Duo T2350
Screen Size 15.4 in
RAM (Preloaded / Maximum) 2 x 512MB DDR2 (2 gb max)
Hard Drive 120GB 5400RPM
Optical Drives Super-Multi Double Layer DVD
Graphics Mobile Intel 945GM with 256MB
Product Weight 2.72 kg
Audio Type Altec Lansing
Battery Type 12 cell Lithium-Ion
Cache 32KB/32KB L1, 2MB L2
Fax/Modem 56K V.92
I/O Ports See The Features Section
Included In Box AC Adaptor, Power Cord, User Manual
Network Card See The Features Section
Other Software See The Features Section
PC Card Slots 1 ExpressCard
Pointing Device Touchpad
Preloaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
Processor Speed 1.86 ghz
Product Dimensions 26.78(W) x 3.93(H) x 36.20(D) cm
Removable Storage None
Screen Type WXGA TFT
Speakers Built-In Stereo Speakers
System Bus

* i dont know which laptop better to buy, they have same price!!
does it true that toshiba bran much better than compaq?
is there big difference bitween 2.0 ghz and 1.86 ghz processor?
thanks guys for your help... i am so confused....

You should check the battery life. Also, 1GB of RAM does not make Vista happy. Up the RAM or downgrade to XP.

I would avoid both of those... until you can see them and check parts availability, screen life, inverter life, cooling channels, and number of cooling fans.
The Compaq has a long history of failures. The HP's are substantially more reliable.
The Toshiba has had very poor parts availability the past two years.
Unless things have changed recently, Toshiba no longer does its own warranty repairs, and when they fail it takes a month to get them back.

You need a laptop that works on a daily basis, not one that is in the shop, and not one for which parts disappear as soon as the warranty wears out.

For work and college, consider an IBM/Lenovo thinkpad in the T, X, or A series. Even a used one will hold up better than a new Compaq or Toshiba.
Other choices: A Dell Latitude in the upper half of the Dell price range, an HP in the upper half of the HP price range, or a Gateway in the upper half of the Gateway price range.

There are very very inexpensive computers that are any good for very long.

Before you buy, see the computer in person. See the cooling fans. See the cooling channels. Then see how long the warranty can be extended.

I don't know either of those models, but I love the Toshiba's models when they are working.

We own Dell Latitude C400, Dell Inspiron 8100, Dell Inspiron 6400, Dell Inspiron 1505, Dell Inspiron 1301, Thinkpad 600X, Thinkpad A21p, Thinkpad A31P, Thinkpad T-23, Thinkpad T41, Thinkpad T-42, Thinkpad T-43, Thinkpad T60, Thinkpad X-30, Thinkpad X31, Thinkpad X40, Thinkpad X-41, a bunch of Gateways and a number of HP's... and a number of Toshiba Techras and Toshiba Satellites. We use them to rent out and loan out while we are repairing the owners machines. We cannot afford to have them down, so we like these we have.
The secret is to see the machines, and have them demo how well they cool.
If I had to buy a machine today, I would get a used Thinkpad. If I had to get a new Machine today, it would be a new HP Pavilion over $1100. I would not get either machine you describe... but I don't know the uses to which you need to run them.

I have had a toshiba for 3 years now. No real issues.

You won't notice a difference in speed between those computers all other parts being equal. A 5400 rpm drive is SLOW.

Bear in mind there are other makers.

The Toshiba of three years ago is a different machine. Toshiba laptops are fine when they work well, and they usually do. The problem is warranty work and parts availability when they fail... Only Sony is more difficult in that regard. Also, there significant differences among the Toshiba Satellite and Qosmio, compared with the much better built Tecra and Portege.
Hard drives are in a state of flux. I agree with Tedseter that 5400 rpm seems slow in comparison with the 7200, but not by itself. So far all brands of 5400 laptop hard drives in machines we repair appear significantly more reliable at than their 7200 rpm versions....
But look for the new models with 16 mb buffers and five year warranties... which makes up for those which die at three years.
My other comments still apply. Good questions remain, "How long is the warranty?" and " Can the warranty be extended?"

yeah i have had problems with compaqs in the past. I would say go toshiba. But i do really like dells. i would say go for a dell if you arent set on those 2. thats just my opinion

I have a Toshiba and my friend has the HP. Side by side my Toshiba is thinner and the screen is much better. The laptop has been used for in-home presentations and now mostly at home instead of the family pc. The battery life is not tremendous, but was sufficient while mobile. Pretty much keep it wired now, but have never had any tech issues with this model, Satellite M-45. Recommend what you are most comfortable with after demo in-store. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back