Please stop me tearing my hair out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

drstupid

Hi,
I've got a problem with spyware/malware on my PC that i'm hoping someone can help me with. I tried for 6 hours last night to no avail, including following all the instructions in the 'Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions' thread.
I'm running Windows XP pro SP2, with windows firewall and norton anti virus.
I got some norton warnings (trojan pandex9, backdoor eterok?)a few days ago and ran a full check with the scanner, but they seem to be getting worse, even if i delete them. Spybot S&D finds smitfraud-c.tootbar888 and doesn't seem to be able to remove it, and Brave-Sentry showed up in the 'add/remove programs' list. But worst of all is (and maybe it's unrelated, but i doubt it) my pc keeps crashing with critical driver errors. This is getting worse and i can't even log on to the internet now. It also crashed when i tried to run the AVG rootkit thingy; it loaded fine, but as soon as i hit scan the pc crashed.
Please help someone as it's driving me crazy.
I've included the latest HJT log, and AVG Spyware scanner log and Combofix log. Hope this helps.
I'm not the most technical of people so please excuse my tech-ignorance.
Bill

Hello and welcome to TechSpot.

Very important: Before deciding whether to clean or reformat your system, read this thread and decide what you want to do.

Whatever you decide, please let me know.

Regards :)

This thread is for the use of drstupid only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our Security and the Web forum.

Good luck to you. When all is well, come back to tell us what you learned, and if everything went well.

Already done the complete re-install (hence now being able to use my PC to access the internet, unlike last night). I'm getting faster at these installs, but i think that just proves i'm screwing my PC up more than i should. Have changed to AVG anti virus instead of Norton so we'll see how that goes.
Cheers again.

Hey, I'm glad it worked out for you. It's also good that you switched to AVG, since it's better than Norton.

I recommend reading this thread so that you can prevent your computer from becoming infected again.

If you have any more virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Regards :)

Normally, I would declare that installation invalid now its been compromised, and rebuild my machine, taking what I had learned into account.

The best way forward is to stop the behaviour that is getting you infected in the first place - are you visiting dodgy sites, downloading "freeware", or anything like that? If so, you might want to consider doing these riskfull things inside a sandbox, such as a VMware virtual machine.

You can download VMware server for free at

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

Surf for your pr0n inside a virtual machine instead, and then your main installation - which you trust for things such as online banking and so forth - never visits a dodgy internet site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back