Plextor 40x12x40

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNCPapa

TS Special Forces
Anyone here had a chance to use one of these yet? What do you think about performance and why does it take 3 minutes to burn a disc?

Plextor

LNCPapa

yeah why does it take 3 mins, i have a yamaha 16 x thats takes anywhere from 2 min 38 seconds to 2 min 53 seconds to burn a disc depending on whats running? are there any discs that support this speed of writing? It sounds cool, maybe ill buy a 40x if it burns faster then 3 mins.

Originally posted by cabrone
yeah why does it take 3 mins, i have a yamaha 16 x thats takes anywhere from 2 min 38 seconds to 2 min 53 seconds to burn a disc depending on whats running? are there any discs that support this speed of writing? It sounds cool, maybe ill buy a 40x if it burns faster then 3 mins.

That must be an overclocked burner because I can't get below 3 mins when burning a full 700 mb with my plextor 24/10/40 :p

The thing with thos new burners is that they start to burn @24x then gradually up the speed & they only reach 40x at the end of the disc surface, the same way 52x speed cd roms can only read at that speed at the most outter region of the disc. It's a technical rip-off...

Take notice that at a speed of 40x data transmission is slowed down by other things than the writter. If you have a slow HDD you can't get 40x all the time. If you connected your source drive as slave to the writter, you won't get 40x. A CD can never copy data that fast to anything. Maybe 40x is possible on this drive, but even then other things would compromise that speed (and you can bet Plextor is hidding behind it).

I have the 24/10/40 and I can't burn on the fly (without burnproof, that is) and my HDD has problems transmitting at that speed when mutlitasking.

So, 40x? Yes, in theory!

And no way Phat your burn a whole cd (700mb) in less than 3 mins! :p

It takes me about 4 minutes to burn a CD with my 16x.

All of this down-to-the-minute stuff is irrelevant anyway. Despite what minute or two you shave off of it, it still takes a couple of minutes to actually get it ready to burn the CD to start with.

Originally posted by ToRN
And no way Phat your burn a whole cd (700mb) in less than 3 mins! :p

Why such little faith here... A music cd for me full of all 80 minutes, give or take a few seconds, can be burned in about 4 minutes . A data cd on the other hand CAN be bured in under 3 minutes... I dont understand why you accuse someone of lying about their burning times... whatever this is all Irellavent to the topic...

Well the only good thing to come out of the 40x burners is that they'll definitly lower the prices in the 24x ones. Might want to get a new one there Phat :)

I could use a new one. I'm still burning with a 4x4x24. Hey its better than my first one which was a 2x2x6.

Originally posted by cabrone
A music cd for me full of all 80 minutes, give or take a few seconds, can be burned in about 4 minutes . A data cd on the other hand CAN be bured in under 3 minutes...
Could someone enlighten me on this? Where does that difference come from? Music, like data, is ones and zeroes on the disc. Or are you burning music track-at-once?

extracting data or music is different. Music extraction is typicaly lower than data (dunno why however).

Originally posted by Didou
Well the only good thing to come out of the 40x burners is that they'll definitly lower the prices in the 24x ones. Might want to get a new one there Phat :)

You couldn't be more right :p

Originally posted by ToRN

I have the 24/10/40 and I can't burn on the fly (without burnproof, that is) and my HDD has problems transmitting at that speed when mutlitasking.

Not to mention free system resources, RAM, CPU, and so many other limiting factors!

If you'll take a look at this image
Plextor_PX-W2410TA-Write.jpg

You'll notice that a 24X plextor writes very close to 24X (22.77)
I understand the technology behind the faster write speeds and how it detects data integrity before raising write speeds, but up till 24X it's been pretty close to the advertised write speed. Why would 40 be any different? Why would it be just as fast as a 24?

And Rick, I'm very systematic when it comes to burning CDs. When you burn 20-30 CDs a day a couple of minutes here and there adds up to quite a bit of time. As soon as one CD is done burning I am loading another blank and starting another. My burners go to work!

LNCPapa

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050

grrrrr...you men CABRONE! My 6x scsi burner takes like 20 minutes, not 3!!

Hey Phantman,

With burners on the cheap mabee its time to get an IDE one ??

Another point, are there even 40x rated disks on the marken yet ?

Here is another great review from CDR Labs that feature the 40x Plextor you are interested in versus the new Lite-On 48x drive and two other CD-RWs.

Very interesting reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back