plug and play device problem

By sphere00
Mar 28, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi,

i'm in desperate need of some help here. i installed a pci soundcard today. after it gave me tons of problems (windows applications were telling me that the audio device was always in use, or there wasn't one installed), i uninstalled it. however, before this, in trying to fix the no sound issue, i came across an article that told me plug and play was the problem, so i changed my machine.inf file and re-installed plug and play with the new one, but this resulted in tons of stuff going wrong. now, i've got about 5 different plug and play devices listed in the device manager, and none of them give me the option to uninstall when i right click on them. i can only really run my pc in safe mode, as all applications freeze as a result of what i'm guessing is all these pnp devices. please, someone help!
  2. Special-K

Special-K Newcomer, in training Posts: 16

Go into Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance / System / Hardware / Device Manager. Select a device that has a yellow warning against it. Press DEL key and confirm OK. Repeat for each device with a yellow warning until all have disappeared.

Then reboot.
  3. sphere00

sphere00 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanks very much for the reply, but it won't let me uninstall the plug and play software device (what i have duplicates of is the actual plug and play software). also, when trying to uninstall other devices (like a sound card), the system just hangs. my drivers got corrupted somewhere or something. this is driving me insane.
  4. triplate

triplate Newcomer, in training Posts: 148

Type sfc(space)/scannow into Run...see what it comes up with...;)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.