plug and play device problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphere00

hi,

i'm in desperate need of some help here. i installed a pci soundcard today. after it gave me tons of problems (windows applications were telling me that the audio device was always in use, or there wasn't one installed), i uninstalled it. however, before this, in trying to fix the no sound issue, i came across an article that told me plug and play was the problem, so i changed my machine.inf file and re-installed plug and play with the new one, but this resulted in tons of stuff going wrong. now, i've got about 5 different plug and play devices listed in the device manager, and none of them give me the option to uninstall when i right click on them. i can only really run my pc in safe mode, as all applications freeze as a result of what i'm guessing is all these pnp devices. please, someone help!

Go into Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance / System / Hardware / Device Manager. Select a device that has a yellow warning against it. Press DEL key and confirm OK. Repeat for each device with a yellow warning until all have disappeared.

Then reboot.

thanks very much for the reply, but it won't let me uninstall the plug and play software device (what i have duplicates of is the actual plug and play software). also, when trying to uninstall other devices (like a sound card), the system just hangs. my drivers got corrupted somewhere or something. this is driving me insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back