TechSpot

PNF_LIST_CORRUPT or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

By award982
Jul 21, 2009
  1. Hello!

Ive been having a problem with a pc that my friend gave to me. its a Medion ( microstar) laptop, model fid2030 md6442. So my friend told me he had lot of bsods and its too old pc to repair. It works good however, runs without lag.

So heres my problem:
    When i try to install windows xp when i get to hdd options i get a bsod containing pnf_list_corrupt. I learned that it probably is bad hdd or ram. The hd works fine becouse i get the same error when the hd is removed and trying to install to a flash drive, so i guess its bad ram. I went to used computer parts shop and asked for spare 256mb ddr pc2700 ram, and asked about the error pnf_list_corrupt. He told me to clean the contacts of the ram with a pencil rubber. After that it amazed me, i got through half of teh setup and at approx 58% of installation files coppying to my hd i got a bsod containing IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Im at loss now, i dont know what to do, should i buy new ram? I also searched the net for the irql_not_less_or_equal error and it said that it may be becouse of poor cooling, could that be the problem becouse theres no heatsinks on the chipsets and the processors cooling is also rubbish.

Please help!
    p.s.sorry for my bad english
    ---------------------------------
    Computer spec's:
    2ghz pentium 4,
    256mb ddr ram
    30gig hd

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Could be any hardware or driver. The issue is not limited to bad RAM, though if only 256 MB, you do not have enough RAM for WXP SP2.
    If the hard drive is really old, you might try another drive, as well. But I the bet is on the inadequate amount of memory. You can get fine Buffalo memory at www.directron.com 512 MB for $21.99 and 256 MB for $16, if cost is a problem

3. award982

award982 TS Rookie Topic Starter

but you see, the computer used to work well before, idk my friend sais that one beautifull day he got a bsod and from then on it was impossible to reinstall windows, and the only os that i tryed that booted up (also ms-dos) was puppy linux ( witch is working atm)

4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Drivers get changed or become corrupted. Other software on your computer can interfere...
    The "...IRQL_not_less_or_equal..." error message reaches across a very broad range of problems, errors, devices, and hardware.
    Logic has little to do with it, as does not what you were once able to do.
    Updates matter. Relationships with other software installs matter.
    BSOD's are a different matter, affecting different equipment and devices, and repaired in a more usual way...
    But both can be repaired every time, once enough is known about the drivers, the software and the hardware.
    You didn't answer my questions on the Medion. We have 150 of them out in the field as salesperson computers they carry in the car. They work as well as any, but their memory needs are more critical, and the hard drives are more susceptible to damage.
    Luckily you know how to use Linux? Do you have access to all your word processing, database, and spreadsheet files through your version of Linux and the "Office" products you have installed... We usually have excellent luck with OOO 3.0 but cannot link to databases easily...

5. award982

award982 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes, i do know how to use linux, but i need to have windows on that computer becouse it is used alot.it used to work, nothing was changed and then bsods started popping out. And one more thing about linux, the problem is i would actually prefer using linux on that pc, but the other bad thing is that i cant install ubuntu, baltix-linux, none of slakware works too, so my guess is that only minimalist distros work, since damn small linux and puppy linux work fine :(

Oh and when you said that 256 mb ram is not enough for windows xp, that aint teh problem, you see i had a compaq pc (tower-workstation) and i was able to run xp with 128 ram, but there was horrible lag. When i added one more 128mb ram chip to that pc it started to work great, so i dont think that the problem is in the capacity of the ram.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.