Pokémon Go to get summer update, adding raids and gym reworks

Polycount

Staff

If you've been a Pokémon Go player since the game's release in 2016, you've probably been less than satisfied with the frequency and substance of updates that developer Niantic has pushed out to date. Aside from a few holiday-specific events and a couple new Pokémon roll-outs, the game has received few major content updates. This lack of content has caused a significant drop in daily players - in fact, 4 out of 5 players have quit the game entirely, as of April this year

Also read: Biggest tech fads of the last decade.

Niantic recognizes the problem - and they're keen to fix it, in the form of a huge summer update. This update will be adding much-requested features like multiplayer raids and a reworked Gym system.

The new raiding system will be straightforward - a Pokémon egg will appear at a nearby gym, with a countdown showing how long it will be until the egg hatches. When it does, a powerful boss Pokémon will appear. Up to 20 players will then be able to attempt to defeat it within a 5-minute time limit.

If players are successful, they will have a chance to try to catch the boss Pokémon for themselves (which will reportedly be much harder to catch than regular Pokémon). There will also be a few other unique raid-only rewards, such as golden razz berries (which increase your chance of capturing a Pokémon out in the world) and rare candies (which convert to a chosen Pokémon's candy when used).

Aside from the new raiding system, Niantic is reworking gyms quite a bit in this update - so much so that they are disabling them in-game entirely until the update rolls out. Gyms now have 6 slots for Pokémon, and rival trainers must battle them in the order that they were originally assigned. Previously, the order was based on the strength of the Pokémon assigned to the gym.

Additionally, gyms will now offer the same functionality as pokéstops - players can interact with a spinning disc to get berries, pokéballs and more. Finally, all Pokémon assigned to a gym will have a "motivation" system, which will cause their CP to lower over time - unless friendly players (from the same team) stop by and feed them berries to reverse the process.

As good as this update sounds, players will have to wait a little longer to get their hands on it. Niantic claims that the update will be released "in the weeks ahead," but they have not provided a specific release date as of yet.

Permalink to story.

Too little too late. No one who left after the initial hype will really ever get back into it. They dont just need to add new stuff, the entire core system needs to get reworked...battles were lame, people got tired of finding 300 pidgeys, etc

Update sounds like pure s***. But hey, at least Niantic won't have to give out as much free gold. I still collect daily bonuses but I'm looking for a great excuse to uninstall. Sorry but 6 pokemon gyms that don't organize by CP is a terrible solution and doesn't even begin to address people sniping spots.

Too little too late. No one who left after the initial hype will really ever get back into it. They dont just need to add new stuff, the entire core system needs to get reworked...battles were lame, people got tired of finding 300 pidgeys, etc

Can confirm.

I can't imagine their goal is to gain back all of those initial players...It's about retention now. They still have a huge player base, and need to start pushing out move innovative ideas and regular updates. They wasted a lot of time just fixing bugs and server issues. This update shows promise that Niantic will start focusing on player experience.

I do the grinding for my 7 year old son- we only started playing from 2nd gen - it's good Niantic have event weeks - so we can catch up - plus for the high levels players need to stupidly grind to move on ( so a leveling thing )- Unfortunately this gym re-work with massively favour the cheaters - who can get 20 players or even 10 together ( yeah that's right the cheaters ) - Also my city in at least what I've seen the gyms are nearly all one colour - some another - my son is the odd one out ( third one )- he takes out a whole gym by himself in 25 minutes - can only leave in 1 pokemon - and that when soon be taken out by others ( possibly cheaters ) . So this cheaters or at least strong groups with get all the boss pokemon & still collect coins - I wouldn't play it by myself - I- walk 150km to turn a Chansey ( from egg ) into a Blissey - with a tracker & GPS tool - I just go grab one - or if I really dumb I just buy an account with a 100IV one .

They want me to pay $1.50 for a 3 hatch incubator to get a tiny chance to get something I want ? - They need a gym for the small guys

ie All the rewards go to the powerful &/or obessives &/or cheaters

I do the grinding for my 7 year old son- we only started playing from 2nd gen - it's good Niantic have event weeks - so we can catch up - plus for the high levels players need to stupidly grind to move on ( so a leveling thing )- Unfortunately this gym re-work with massively favour the cheaters - who can get 20 players or even 10 together ( yeah that's right the cheaters ) - Also my city in at least what I've seen the gyms are nearly all one colour - some another - my son is the odd one out ( third one )- he takes out a whole gym by himself in 25 minutes - can only leave in 1 pokemon - and that when soon be taken out by others ( possibly cheaters ) . So this cheaters or at least strong groups with get all the boss pokemon & still collect coins - I wouldn't play it by myself - I- walk 150km to turn a Chansey ( from egg ) into a Blissey - with a tracker & GPS tool - I just go grab one - or if I really dumb I just buy an account with a 100IV one .

They want me to pay $1.50 for a 3 hatch incubator to get a tiny chance to get something I want ? - They need a gym for the small guys

ie All the rewards go to the powerful &/or obessives &/or cheaters

What I thought would be a decent idea would be to make 2 stages at each gym. Maybe one for under lvl. 20, and one for over 20. That way the newer trainers are only pitted against each other, and the big bullies have to go against lvl. 20+.

Back