Poll on greatest FPS game ever!

Which is the greatest game ever?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

spartanslayer

Here is a poll on the greatest FPS game ever. Please don't gripe about the ones I missed.

How come I have 101 views and only 15 votes!

From my point of view Battlefield has hit just the spot!! Perfect graficks, great movement and lit sof possibilities. So realystic and still fun for more then 1 hour (not like CS)

1 vote for Battlefield!!

To me, "newest / latest" does not equal greatness.

My favourite three are Delta Force 2, Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2004.

Unfortunately most UT Internet multiplayer servers seem to be "as fast as possible, low gravity, and insta-gib" matches.

Quake III was too fast for me, but the original Quake in multiplayer was fun (could still be if I could find players).

This is what a multiplayer FPS should be:

ut_999_dm.jpg

:p

Quake!

No games capture the atmosphere better than the Quake series IMO.
Sound is as important as gameplay. Call of Duty has an awesome music score as well. My advice, don't skimp on the sound system or you're missing half the game.

Half Life 2 slighlt edge over Halo1-2

For me i like the single player games with great storylines, gameplay, and polish. Halo xbox was a great experience but I just can't give an fps win to a game with console controls. I never played the pc version so I can't rate that. The whole Half Life series is great, but HL2 was almost perfect if you take away the long buggy rides and somewhat abrupt ending. The levels were the best yet for any fps. I'm addicted still to multiplayer deathmatch, so it has legs.

Hmm, this is really though, cause some of these games
have excellent SP, yet they fall short in MP compared to others
and the other way around.

I can't really decide because of that.

Almost every single one of them is a revolution of its own... so hard to choose.
But as you're clearly comparing games offering SP and MP (some a lot more of MP than SP, and the other way around as I said), the fairest thing to do is select the one which manages to balance - an excellent SP campaign coupled with an addictive MP (mods do not count!).

In this case COD wins hands down for me, not the best SP from all these , not best MP also, however, both SP and MP rock in COD, and managing to make a game that combines these two so sucessfully is really amazing so to speak. I know I loved the SP campaign, and when I started playing it online, it just got better - I dont know any other game where I got the same experience.

The dream FPS game would be one that combines the level design of Half-Life 2 and the enemy A.I. of F.E.A.R.

Original Half-Life was the first FPS that dragged me into gaming as a result of it's STORY LINE. Nothing has come close since then... well, maybe the Thief series.

COD would have to be my favorite. ive spent hours playing it. even with a bad graphics card i still love the game. theres realy nothing else like it

Mictlantecuhtli, I might just take up that offer of playing Quake with you one day, just tell me a good sourceport, gimme yur email, and were good to go.

The entire Quake series (even 4)
UT2K4
F.E.A.R. - probably not in this order

I notice that Far Cry got no vote so far. I didn't particularly care for the game, but I expect there would be at least one fan.

I just got F.E.A.R. from my wife as a Christmas gift. It has a wicked A.I. I think it should be on the list, especially if Doom 3 is on the list.

wow how is fear not on that list. i havent played it but its like one of the top games of the year.

only fps i really ever liked

golden eye 007
perfect dark
soldier of fortune 2
cod, uo and the sequal
halo

The problem with this poll is it's range - I dont know how many
people played all games on this list (including every part of e.g. UT or Q series).

I did play them all, but I wonder if all the people who voted played them all. Kind of a problem if you're voting and havent played all of the given choices...

Second problem I mentioned earlier is - although all of these games have SP and MP, in some games the MP is almost non-existant or bad/average, while in other it's the SP that is bad or almost non-existant.
So you're practically comparing online FPS games with SP FPS games in one poll - not a really good comparison.

I stick with COD, as it offers the best SP/MP ratio compared to other games.

Edit: also I'm very surprised by 0 votes for the UT series, I though they would be in the top 3 for sure, weird :)

Choosing the best MP game from these would be easy for me - it's BF2 for me.
The game with best SP/MP ratio as I said would be COD.

But, the best SP is challenging to choose - HL1 comes popping to my mind, I really liked the story, and the feel of the game... but I really wouldn't know what to choose as the best SP game.

HL 1 & 2, Far Cry, Halo 1 & 2 - I just cant make my mind on one (Doom 3 had great atmosphere to it but the fear goes away after a few levels, and the game loses much with that)

HL2 had the driving sequences that tended to go a bit boring, and I didnt like Halo 2 as much as I did the original Halo (although they would win for best musical score from these games :) ).

FarCry just impressed me with it's graphics and the whole level size/design, although it wasnt that much special in any other part.

But I think I would go for HL1, it's the first FPS that I really enjoyed playing, great story, good atmosphere, and I still remember most of it.

MY vote is for battlefield. I love trying to fly those plane and can we say knife only fights! -)

Half-Life always tops my list of FPS.
I think back of all the games I've played, and Half-Life always reminds me of the best fun and challenge pitting me against the computer. Good story, good graphics (for their time) and great shooting.

However, I am still waiting for Duke Nukem Forever , forever, forever, forever.............. to be released. :rolleyes:
The trouble is, I am 60 years old and don't know which will occur first, me leaving or the game arriving. :eek:

Halo probably rates as the best I've played. So much so I got the PC version too. But on account I play UT2004 online heaps more I voted for UT.
However credits to Far Cry and Doom3 and FEAR and Quake4.
HL2 was ok but over rated for mine. Most anticipated game for me would be STALKER when it gets here. Hopefully early next year. :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back