Polyphony Digital announces Gran Turismo Sport, a PS4 exclusive with VR support and real-life prizes

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sony and Polyphony Digital have announced the next entry in the popular Gran Turismo franchise. Racing fans have a lot to look forward to in Gran Turismo Sport including an intriguing partnership with the International Automobile Federation.

Unveiled at the annual Paris Games Week trade show, the first thing you need to know is that this is not Gran Turismo 7. It’s a totally new game that’ll be more substantial than earlier Prologue titles designed to hold fans over until the next major release.

Jim Ryan, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe’s president and CEO, said that in the old days when games were offline, the experience was defined by what is on the disc. When the game becomes more of an online connected experience, that distinction blurs.

Gran Turismo Sport will feature three modes of play: campaign, sports mode and arcade mode. The partnership with the International Automobile Federation will allow for two online virtual championships via a Nations Cup and a Manufacturers Cup. Winners of each will be presented with real-life awards at a ceremony in Paris.

A beta for Gran Turismo Sport is scheduled to arrive early next year. The game, being exclusively developed for the PlayStation 4, will also be compatible with Sony’s virtual reality headset, the PlayStation VR. Hopefully Sony and Polyphony Digital will be able to stick to the 2016 launch window.

Permalink to story.

That is some really next generation stuff. Game looks exciting, and with the aid of PlayStation VR, it should be astonishing.

Yawn, wake me up when the actual games is announced....

You know what, never mind it'll probably be a huge letdown like GT5 was.

This will be make or break for PD with Project Cars on the market and a sequel on the way.

Is this implying that the young and hip use controllers and it's only the old farts that use wheels (albeit at knee level in a characteristically-poor-representation-of-how-gamers-actually-behave-when-gaming)?

Would have liked to see more gameplay, the fact that they are placing more importance on the online side of things is disappointing for me. I really don't care for online play anymore, and when the emphasize on it that usually means they are cutting corners elsewhere using the "Online" feature as a selling point. Not buying a PS4 for this one, maybe when the full game comes out in 3 years...

This will be make or break for PD with Project Cars on the market and a sequel on the way.

I just don't know why people keep comparing Gran Turismo to other racing games, Gran Turismo I far way from being just a game it's a cultural thing on a league of his own... Comparing it to other traditional games will only hurt the new kids...

Yawn, wake me up when the actual games is announced....

You know what, never mind it'll probably be a huge letdown like GT5 was.

Agreed. And is it me? the geometry looks great, the textures are good, the lighting or render process is "off". Maybe its missing particles or something. From the internal view to the externals, it looks plastic.

I just don't know why people keep comparing Gran Turismo to other racing games, Gran Turismo I far way from being just a game it's a cultural thing on a league of his own... Comparing it to other traditional games will only hurt the new kids...

Because it's a racing sim, and there are other racing sims. Speaking as someone who holds an S License in every major release (1-6), comparing GT to PC is not only valid, but necessary, as the success of the series thus far has been due primarily to its lack of competition. PC is a better sim than anything in PD's stable, for both technological and design reasons. If the next full release of Gran Turismo doesn't hit a home run (in other words, if it isn't Gran Turismo 2) the franchise is all but in the grave.

Agreed. And is it me? the geometry looks great, the textures are good, the lighting or render process is "off". Maybe its missing particles or something. From the internal view to the externals, it looks plastic.
It's not just you; the past couple of GT games have had that overly sterile/lifeless look to them. It literally drove me bonkers every time I watched a replay or did b spec when I wasted so many hours playing GT5.

Back