Poor performance of i7-7500U

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum, so bear with me if the question has come up in the past.. I've been working with computers for over 35 years and have my shares of home-built PC's and various HW.. though for the past 15 years, I haven't focuses much on HW anymore, concentrating on the OS & SW side of things.
Last year in December I bought a long overdue new laptop to replace my tiny Acer W510 hybrid tablet, which runs off an Intel Atom CPU with only 2GB RAM & 64GB SSD storage.. I found an excellent deal for about 1100$CAD on Microsoft Store for a Lenovo Flex-4 1480, model 80VD, equipped with 16GB/512GB SSD. As the system was pretty new, I couldn't find any decent reviews, but based on my experience and knowledge of system, I thought it couldn't be a bad deal. I was in for a 14" convertible 2-in-1 system that I could use for my personal usage, but should also be able to run some VM's as I'm working in the Microsoft ERP field and do a lot of presentation & speaking.
However, after a few months on use, I find sometime that the system is sluggish and doesn't respond very well, despite being loaded with the latest Win10 Creator update and all updates applied. Today I ran 2 benchmarking apps (CPU-Z & Cinebench) and the results were very disappointing.. I also ran a Disk-Mark speed transfer test and I know that the Lite-On SSD is not the fastest in the world, but averaged about 385Mb/s transfer rate..
What could possibly be the explanation for such a bad performance.. the laptop had a dedicated ATI Radeon chip set with 2GB RAM, and still only achieves 15.7 fps in the Cinebench GPU test.. The CPU score ends up with something like 87, compared to the Thinkpad X1 that achieves like twice this score.. and is a similar equipped laptop.
Is there any tweaking that I'm missing that could get a better performance out of this nice laptop ?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
@GP_Beat

The biggest thing that is probably being overlooked is the power options profile. Try setting your power options to full on maximum performance instead of a balanced power saving option. Your SSD speeds seem correct, so no issues there.

Back