Popup box sometimes for "awstats"

Vigilante

Occasionally I get a box that pops up with this info:

[title]
"connect to www.techspot.com

[description]
"awstats Restricted Area"

And it has a username and password box. I just cancel and the page I want comes up no problem.

Seems to be really random, doesn't happen only on certain pages etc...

So not sure why it does that. And I'm pretty sure that I'm logged in when it does happen.

Yes, it's basically IE (Avant).
Next time it pops up I'll keep track of what pages I'm on and whether I'm logged it etc...

That is very strange, you get the password prompt when you try to reach our site status page (it is strictly for staff only, henche the password prompt.)

But this prompt will only come up when you try to access the folder cgi-bin which usual site related content should not try to do, please post back with all the details of where you where and what you clicked on next time this happenes to you so I can sort this one out.

And thank you for the heads up

Okay just got the message again. Here's the details.

I WAS logged in.
I was typing a "quick reply"
As soon as the page refreshed after clicking "Post Quick Reply" it popped up.
Which after refreshing, landed me on this page. Which is normal. https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=147079#post147079

I got a screen shot but lost it before I could paste it. It just looks like a normal windows dialog box.
Next time I'll try to get a screen shot.

No need to post a screenshot, I know how it looks...

I'll review the server logs now and see if I can come up with anything, thank you

I have now identified the problem and have informed Julio about it, the reason the prompt comes up is due to one of our advertisements on the site wrongly using the cgi-bin directory on the server...

Hopefully this will be solved later today or in the week

Thank you for your help Vigilante

I got that prompt too

I got the same thing a couple times in the past couple weeks. I've just been closing/ignoring it. I'll post any screen shots if I get em.

This is how it looks if you are interested...

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
At least, that's how it looks in Opera! Looks slightly different on Avant.

Glad you found the issue though!

Back