Porsche approves all-electric 'Mission E' sedan for production

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Mission E, the high-performance electric sedan concept from German automaker Porsche, has been given the green light to enter production.

Porsche unveiled its four-door Mission E concept in mid-September at the annual Frankfurt Motor Show. The automaker said the all-electric vehicle would have the equivalent of 600 horsepower, good for a 0-60 mph time of under 3.5 seconds with a range of more than 310 miles.

That’s a touch slower than Tesla’s Model S P85D which is rated at 762 horsepower, allowing it to bolt from 0-60 in just 2.8 seconds (in Ludicrous mode). What really stands out with the Porsche, however, is its promised recharge time.

The European brand claims the Mission E will utilize an 800-volt charger that’ll provide an 80 percent charge in just 15 minutes. That’s roughly half the time required for Tesla’s vehicle according to Wired. Like its rival, Porsche also aims to build its lithium-ion battery pack into the floor of the car, giving it a very low center of gravity.

Oliver Blume, chairman of Porsche's executive board, said the vehicle marks the beginning of a new chapter in the history of the sports car. Ian Beavis, chief strategy officer at consulting agency AMCI Global, believes there will be a lot of Porsche fans anticipating the car’s arrival.

The first models are expected to roll off the assembly line by the end of the decade.

Permalink to story.

I'm still waiting for a small and cheap electronic car, I have zero need for speed and gadgets in a car, though bluetooth would be nice

Yeah, right, a lot of Porsche fans crave an electric car. Pull my finger, Beavis!
Haha, yeah! VW is just pulling all this "electric" BS now to create headlines in an attempt to draw attention away from their diesel debacle. It's just a gimmick, nothing more. It's funny how they had no real interest in electric cars until they got caught cheating on emissions tests. Now suddenly they're announcing new electric cars every few weeks. Give me a break.

"The first models are expected to roll off the assembly line by the end of the decade."
^^^ Very telling, right there. Or to put it in the words of Bart Simpson "I'm a diversion! I'm a diversion!"

PS. - Porsche's parent company VW might not even be around by the end of the decade the way things are going for them right now. lol

I think I'm only reading this because I do not have the money to buy such an expensive car.

But if I could afford spending so much money on a car, there is no way I would buy a Tesla or this electric Porsche.

I'd rather get a gasoline real fun-to-drive, like the new 2016 Mercedes C63s Coupe, which is, by the way, cheaper than Tesla.

2016-Mercedes-AMG-C63-S-Coupe-28.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'm only reading this because I do not have the money to buy such an expensive car.

But if I could afford spending so much money on a car, there is no way I would buy a Tesla or this electric Porsche.

I'd rather get a gasoline real fun-to-drive, like the new 2016 Mercedes C63s Coupe, which is, by the way, cheaper than Tesla.

2016-Mercedes-AMG-C63-S-Coupe-28.jpg
Have you ever driven a Tesla? The Torque is like nothing I've ever experianced in any car and I've driven some 1000+hp hotrods. The Tesla is absolutely a drivers car.

After you finish driving a Tesla the only thing going through your head is "you know, the future is gonna be just fine"

I honestly can't wait to see if I can drive one of these. The more manufactures that jump on board with electric sports sedans the faster the prices drop to something I might be able to afford.

Pretty soon electric vehicles are going to become common sight on the roads and I'm all for them. The 4 stroke petrol engine has been around since the 1860's and although I'm a firmly in the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' camp, it's high time we moved on and stopped scavenging the earth of it's oil reserves.

Last edited:
Yeah, right, a lot of Porsche fans crave an electric car. Pull my finger, Beavis!
Haha, yeah! VW is just pulling all this "electric" BS now to create headlines in an attempt to draw attention away from their diesel debacle. It's just a gimmick, nothing more. It's funny how they had no real interest in electric cars until they got caught cheating on emissions tests. Now suddenly they're announcing new electric cars every few weeks. Give me a break.

In all likelihood, this "electric BS" has been a project for at least a year and the 918 was used as an initial platform to test some of the technology. Big companies don't just announce multi-million dollar projects out of thin air to smoke screen issues that matter only to regulatory agencies. That's what lawyers are for.

This is PORSCHE we're talking about... while their parent company is VW, they have very little to do with day-to-day operations - I got a good friend who used to work there, and he's been psyched about this car (and the 918) for a LONG time - WELL before the VW exhaust scandal...

As this car will be a Porsche, expect it to be a car that will be "built for drivers" (not a Pontiac piece of ***) and will be sold in limited numbers... Each car will likely be sold well before it is made, and each will sell for a VAST quantity of cash....

In all likelihood, this "electric BS" has been a project for at least a year and the 918 was used as an initial platform to test some of the technology. Big companies don't just announce multi-million dollar projects out of thin air to smoke screen issues that matter only to regulatory agencies. That's what lawyers are for.

Sure, all these car companies have lots and lots of projects, prototypes, and concept cars in the works. But it's no coincidence that VW and its subsidiaries are suddenly making multiple electric car related announcements now. I never meant to imply that they suddenly just pulled something out of a hat. If you think that all these announcements have nothing to do with their diesel fiasco then you're fooling yourself.

I'm still waiting for a small and cheap electronic car, I have zero need for speed and gadgets in a car, though bluetooth would be nice
this is the way it progresses, get the tech into these very exspensive high performance cars, that people with money will want to buy, it then lets them put all the tech they have now tested in to a more affordable vehicle later on and thanks to economies of scale sell it at a price normal people can afford. No matter what though a electric vehicle will cost more than a gas powered car, you pay more upfront and save on the operations cost.

As I see it, the everyday driver has zero need for speed, but many of them have been convinced they can not live without speed - sauced for the goose by marketing. Even a small and cheap electric car will have torque that most modern ICE cars can only dream of.

As storage technology becomes better, EVs will become cheaper, and eventually, at least as I see it, inexpensive EVs will be ubiquitous.

this is the way it progresses, get the tech into these very exspensive high performance cars, that people with money will want to buy, it then lets them put all the tech they have now tested in to a more affordable vehicle later on and thanks to economies of scale sell it at a price normal people can afford. No matter what though a electric vehicle will cost more than a gas powered car, you pay more upfront and save on the operations cost.

I don't use a car enough to pay a massive premium so I'll stick with my economical and cheap Citroen C1. The only thing that's holding electric cars back is the cost of the batteries, these are reducing all the time in cost.

I don't use a car enough to pay a massive premium so I'll stick with my economical and cheap Citroen C1. The only thing that's holding electric cars back is the cost of the batteries, these are reducing all the time in cost.
its the same situation for me, I would like to have a electric vehicle since I drive maybe 100 miles in a week. I pay next to nothing for electricity, but I also have super cheap gas prices in my state, so for me driving my Ford taurus is still much cheaper than buying the cheapest electronic vehicle.

Good on Porsche for making an EV. Pity it won't be there before the end of the decade. I'm skeptical about this 'charge in 15 minutes' idea, though. Simple multiplication says that if it has a battery like Tesla's, say 90kwh, even allowing for zero losses and assuming a reasonable lower and upper limit 'unavailable' safety barrier so only 75kwh is available, that is 75*(60/15)=300kw power supply to do it. In fact it will be higher because there are losses, and you can charge much faster at the start than at the end, so peak is probably going to be 500kw. You're not going to do that at home, at home you'll charge overnight in up to 10 hours depending on how empty your battery is. And not with a drive-over induction pad at home by my guess. You'll only be able to do the 15 minute thing at the equivalent of a supercharger - and how many of them will Porsche build? Tesla has thousands, but it is aiming at selling lots of cars. I doubt if the Porsche will be a 'mainstream' car; for them to set up their own supercharger network will not be viable. They would be far better off buying into using the Tesla network. (Possible, as Tesla/Musk aims to promote the use of EV's.) And even if they DO build such a network, how many cars will they be able to charge at once? By my figures, just 2 cars charging at once would be a megawatt. If you have an 8 bay station and all are in use, I suspect much slower charging will be the order of the day.

Back