Port scanning

By Valerie
Nov 11, 2007
  1. I received a message from my secuiry log on sygate personal firewall that somebody is scanning my computer. It stated it was a port scan; what is a port scan? The message stated my computers TCP ports: 1080, 8080, 6588, and 3128 have been scanned from remote host Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

That`s perfectly normal and is nothing to worry about. Just have your firewall block it and tell it not to alert you again.

It`s just your firewall doing it`s job.

Your computer is often scanned from various locations and that`s why it`s so important to have firewall software.

Regards Howard :)
  3. technicalfury42

technicalfury42 Banned Posts: 62

A port scan is where someone runs (usually) an automated tool that attempts to see what sorts of services you are running. If your system is not protected by a firewall, this can leave you vulnerable to attack through the exploit of one of those running services.
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,153   +598

port scanning can lead to temporary loss of access

Sometimes a firewall will start blocking the source address from which the port
    scan occurs.

Just yesterday, my FW (comodo) caught a port scan and disabled inbound traffic
    from the source; SADLY, that address was a spoof of my DNS address which meant
    that I lost browser access until the blocking time period was over.

Port Scanning is frequently performed from a spoofed address; they're trying
    to get access without being tracked to their location.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.