Portable external HD - NTFS file security issues

By WilmaSweden
Dec 26, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I keep most on my user data on an external USB (IDE) drive, currently with a FAT32 partition.

I plan to convert it to NTFS, and my main concern is with the ACL. I move the drive between 2-3 different XP machines with different user accounts, and I want to make sure that all files are always accessible to everyone, regardless of what computer I connect it to. On my own computer, I want them to appear under My Documents. Also, if my system crashes, I want to avoid the hazard of not being able to access My Documents if the user accounts crash.

How do I set the ACL in Win7 and XP Pro SP3 to achieve the maximum portability as per above?

/Wilma
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,748   +156

3. WilmaSweden

WilmaSweden Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thank you for that link. It looked a bit complex, but I might be able to work my way through it eventually.

I've always found it hard to find out what the implications will be if you set particular user rights. If I allow RW access on all data files to the standard group "Everyone", does that entail "any user on this machine" or "any user on any machine"?

As mentioned, I want to ensure that the files can be accessed on any NTFS compatible system in case my own system crashes and I can't re-create the user accounts.
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,748   +156

Well good luck... I hope to visit Sweden some day. My grandparents homeland Varmland, Sweden
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.