Portable external HD - NTFS file security issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep most on my user data on an external USB (IDE) drive, currently with a FAT32 partition.

I plan to convert it to NTFS, and my main concern is with the ACL. I move the drive between 2-3 different XP machines with different user accounts, and I want to make sure that all files are always accessible to everyone, regardless of what computer I connect it to. On my own computer, I want them to appear under My Documents. Also, if my system crashes, I want to avoid the hazard of not being able to access My Documents if the user accounts crash.

How do I set the ACL in Win7 and XP Pro SP3 to achieve the maximum portability as per above?

/Wilma

Thank you for that link. It looked a bit complex, but I might be able to work my way through it eventually.

I've always found it hard to find out what the implications will be if you set particular user rights. If I allow RW access on all data files to the standard group "Everyone", does that entail "any user on this machine" or "any user on any machine"?

As mentioned, I want to ensure that the files can be accessed on any NTFS compatible system in case my own system crashes and I can't re-create the user accounts.

Well good luck... I hope to visit Sweden some day. My grandparents homeland Varmland, Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back