Portable Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

formetopoopon90

Hey guys, i have a laptop and i need to find a PCMCIA networking card that will allow me to go anywhere with my laptop and still have access to the internet. I am not really framilure with laptop networking, so what do i need to get to connect to the internet when i'm not at my house (which i have wireless networking at my house). I already have a 802.11b\g (cardbus) network adapter. I just need to figure out what i need to put on my laptop that will allow internet access when i go on trips. Thanks guys!!

The only thing that gives you "anywhere" access would be two-way satellite. And that sort of gear is not portable :)

If "anywhere" means "the centre of the world" means "mainland USA", then you can sign up with some wireless providers that give you countrywide coverage (in most inhabited areas anyway). They will give you a special adapter. You can also use a simple cell phone as a modem (speeds depend on the network and your service provider).

Now, withing reason, your laptop should already have a dialup modem port and an ethernet port (unless it's some ultra light or really crappy model), so you don't need anything more hardware-wise if "anywhere" means a place with an existing internet connection or a phone line. To get internet connection in that location X, you have to bug the local population to find out what options you have and how it can be done.

Almost any PCMCIA networking card will do what you want; your issues will always
be to get it configured for the wireless station nearest to you.

First, when going wireless, disable the Ethernet internal device -- reduces problems in config.

Second, make sure you understand your firewall and have disabled all Print/File Sharing.

Third, as you will be accessing unsecured networks, you should be able to
View Network Connections,
click on your wireless adaptor and find the wireless stations in your area;
just click on any UNSECURED ssid.

You can use you existing wireless adapter to access WiFi at your home and at "Wifi" hotspots such hotels, cafes, libraries etc. Some cities offer city wide Wifi but they are few. Other choices include wireless air card which is basically a modem that uses you cell phone service. Another choice is wireless broadband which you usually get from a cell phone company. Verizon comes to mind as well as Sprint and Tmobile. Verizon has the best coverage and speed (so I hear) so that's probably you best choice. Expect to pay at least $60 a month for this service.. It is not available everywhere yet..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back